About Our University
What is the Sir Bob Murray CBE Scholarship?
Five Sir Bob Murray CBE Scholarships are available every year to assist students with the costs related to living and studying at university. The scholarships are awarded as a £750 bursary and a £250 balance on a campus card. More information about eligibility and selection criteria, and details on the application process are available below.
Sir Bob Murray CBE
Sir Bob Murray CBE funds scholarships at Leeds Beckett University as a testament to the transformative power of an education at our University, and to help provide the same opportunities he had to others. Every year five Sir Bob Murray CBE Scholarships are available to reward talented undergraduate students in their first year of studying an accounting or finance related course, who live in the North of England and come from a disadvantaged background.
This scholarship is only open to students who meet all of the eligibility criteria listed below:
- Students who are high achievers in their A level studies. This will be classified as 320 UCAS points (the equivalent of one A and two B grades at A level)
- Students who are studying accounting or finance related courses in the Leeds Business School or our School of Accounting & Finance
- Students who live in the North of England with their permanent home address being in one of the following postcodes: BD, DH, DL, DN, HD, HG, HU, HX, LS, NE, S, SR, TS, WF, YO
- Students who have a household income of less than £25,000
- Students who are the first in their immediate family to attend university
- Students whose applications are supported by a satisfactory reference from their personal tutor
The Sir Bob Murray CBE Scholars - 2015/16
The successful scholars (left to right above) are:
- Rameesha Naveed, studying BA (Hons) Business and Human Resource Management, from Halifax.
- Georgia Page, studying BA (Hons) Business and Management, from Doncaster.
- Harrison Day, studying BA (Hons) International Business from Wakefield.
- Muhammad Yusuf Daji, studying BA (Hons) Accounting and Finance, from Batley.
- Katie Gibson, studying BA (Hons) Business Studies, from Leeds.
Sir Bob said: "I have always believed in the power of education to change lives and help people fulfil their true potential and my own personal experience is very apt in this respect.
"I left school at 16 with just one O-level and it took me another ten years working full-time and studying part-time to finally qualify as an accountant and graduate from this great university. I didn’t get the opportunity to progress straight to university and know it can be difficult for a lot of students and their families.
"Since the scholarship was set up three years ago I have taken great delight in following the progress of the scholars, how they have grown in confidence and seeing them starting out on what will be very successful careers."
Katie said: "It feels great to know that Sir Bob Murray has been in my shoes and knows about the importance of a university education. He has inspired me to continue to focus and get on with my studies, knowing that I'm now going to be able to get all the items I need to revise for my exams. I can’t thank him enough for what he has done, as he has made a really big difference to my university life."
Muhammad said: "I consider myself very fortunate to be awarded this amazing scholarship. This will change everything for me and help me to do well in my studies and with the costs of university life."
Harrison added: "I am delighted to have received this award and will not be able to thank Sir Bob enough as the benefits it will have on my learning experience here at University will be deeply strengthened. The work that Sir Bob Murray has completed within his career is astounding and that in itself shows the work ethic he has as an individual, something that I highly respect and look up to. I could only dream to be as successful as Sir Bob Murray."
If you have any questions about the scholarship or the application process, please contact the Alumni Team via email@example.com or 0113 812 3147