About Our University
History and Heritage
Our history stretches back to the 1700's
Pre medieval – A stone coffin and stone slab discovered in Beckett Park drive, which are thought to be either Roman or Saxon.
1752 – The Grange is built on the modern day site of Headingley Campus, and remains the oldest building on the site.
1824 – Leeds Mechanics Institute is founded.
1845 – Leeds College of Commerce is founded.
1846 – Leeds College of Art is founded.
1868 – Leeds Mechanics Institute becomes the Leeds Institute of Science, Art, and Literature.
1874 – Yorkshire Training School of Cookery founded. (Renamed Yorkshire College of Education and Home Economics in 1966).
1883 – Oscar Wilde is invited to visit the Grange.
1907 – Winston Churchill, as guest of the Beckett family, stays at the Grange.
1907 – The City of Leeds Training College is founded.
1912 – The City of Leeds Training College moves to Beckett Park site.
1914 – On declaration of war the College is commandeered by the Army and commissioned as the 2nd Northern Hospital.
1933 – The Beckett Park campus is expanded with the creation of the Carnegie Physical Training College.
1968 – The Carnegie Physical Training College merges with the City of Leeds Training College (by then renamed the City of Leeds College of Education).
1970 – Leeds Polytechnic comes into existence, formed from the amalgamation of Leeds College of Technology, Leeds College of Commerce, part of Leeds College of Art, and Yorkshire College of Education and Home Economics.
1976 – Leeds Polytechnic is enlarged with the addition of James Graham College, the City of Leeds College of Education, and the Carnegie Physical Training College.
1989 – Leeds Polytechnic leaves the Leeds Local Education Authority (LEA), and becomes an independent Higher Education Corporation.
1992 – Leeds Polytechnic is re-designated as a university, under the title Leeds Metropolitan University, with power to confer its own degrees and other awards.
2005 – Beckett Park is renamed Headingley Campus.
2006 – Headingley Campus is extended beyond the confines of Beckett Park to include the Carnegie stand at the Headingley Carnegie Rugby Stadium, which is opened by sports minister Richard Caborne.
2009 – The iconic Rose Bowl is opened by the Duke of Kent.
2009 – The new home of the Faculty of Arts, Environment and Technology, Broadcasting Place is opened.
2010 – Broadcasting Place is named the Best Tall Building in the World by the Chicago-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat.
2010 – The Carnegie Pavilion is officially opened by celebrity chef James Martin.
2014 – The University became Leeds Beckett University.