About Our University
Electricity Generated from Combined Heat and Power:
The Rose Bowl has a combined heat and power unit that acts as our primary boiler for heating and hot water. The combustion of the gas also drives a small turbine that generates approximately 19% of the electrical load of the Rose Bowl.
Environmental Management System
We are certified to the international environmental management standard ISO 14001.
In 2005 our carbon emissions were 17,675 tonnes. Since then we have reduced our emissions to 13,779 tonnes, a total reduction of 22% achieved through our comprehensive Carbon Management Strategy and energy efficiency projects.
- Leeds Beckett is one of the first universities in the world to get Passivhaus status for Carnegie Village Halls of Residence. Passivhaus buildings are highly insulated keeping temperatures warm in winter in cool in summer.
- Toilets in the Rose Bowl, City Campus, are flushed using harvested rainwater.
- Staff and students are able to take advantage of discounted travel passes, bike hire, and bike maintenance workshops.
- 48% of our students walk to university.
- 9% of staff cycle to work.
- 99.11% of waste from Leeds Beckett is diverted from landfill.
- Construction projects recycle 95% of all waste generated.
- Over 10,000 tonnes of demolition waste has been reused on site.
- Wildflowers were planted in the Rose Bowl Car Park.
- At Headingley Campus, our grounds maintenance team has completed woodland improvement works which have seen an additional 42 flora species appearing in 2011, compared to 2004.
- We have four beehives at our Headingley Campus.
Green Impact Scheme:
- Green Impact is a simple, rewarding and fun scheme that brings our staff together to play an active role in making the workplace more sustainable.
- The University has worked alongside the NUS in implementing the Green Impact scheme at the University since March 2016.
- We currently engage more than 70 members of staff in the scheme and involve over 20 teams.
- Thanks to our involvement in the scheme, we have managed to save a considerable amount of carbon emissions.