The Legal Cheek Virtual Vacation Scheme ran in partnership with the University of Law and featured speakers from a host of leading firms such as Addleshaw Goddard, Ropes & Gray, Allen & Overy, Irwin Mitchell, Radcliffe Chambers, Travers Smith and many more. 

At first, I wasn’t sure what to expect as I have never attended a virtual event prior to this. But I saw this opportunity as a chance to put myself out there. The sessions ranged from understanding the commercial legal market, life as a debt finance lawyer, legal tech, life as a litigator, legal aid and pro bono in practice as well as a number of workshops on the relationship between in-house and private practice, finance and commercial awareness, and dispute resolution. Even though I knew I was not interested in all the areas of law that were presented, I now have a deeper understanding of these areas, such as Debt Finance or Legal Tech.

The scheme made me realise that my heart is set on commercial and company law, working in-house . It made me open minded, as well as making me realise that I am 100% committed to everything and every aspect of the job, adjusting to lots of different situations. Furthermore, it allowed me to develop myself in ways I didn’t think were possible, for example, showing people how much I can achieve beyond of what people expect of me. Lastly, it made me appreciate just how passionate I am about client service, going out of my way to deliver exceptional customer service.

Reflecting on this experience, there are many skills that I wish to develop to prepare myself for the changes as well as challenges that are coming in the post-Covid19 world. 

Some key takeaways:

• Soft skills as well as communication are vital.
  • Know yourself, give yourself a chance to develop several skills along the way and understand where your strengths and weaknesses lie.
  • Develop the skills that will be useful in what you want to specialise in.
  • Understand that you will change along the course of your career, approach the legal profession with an open mind.
  • Understand employers, do the research and understand what type of firms you belong to.
  • Be proud of your job.

Graduates of 2020, we are graduating into what could be one of the toughest job markets in a long time. Don’t be afraid to come out of your comfort zone and gain vital knowledge beyond the circumstances. Great things never come from comfort zones.