Leeds, learning and the School of Built Environment - my student experience

Hi, my name is Sophie. I’m a third-year student, studying Human Geography at the School of Built Environment, Engineering & Computing. In this blog I’ll give a few hints/tips for new students and talk about my 1st year experiences.

Leeds City Centre

The first couple of months are going to be some of the most exciting times within your degree as you experience so many new things, I think one of the most exciting things you’ll do is explore your new home. Leeds is a moderate size city which is perfect when you are first moving away because it’s not too overwhelming which is really important in making you feel settled. Take advantage of the many shopping centres such as Trinity Leeds and the Victoria Quarter. University isn’t just about studying, find a new hobby, through one the many student societies/clubs. This is a great way to meet people with similar interests and make new friends outside of your flat or course!

Genuinely one of the best things about your first term at university is getting to know your course team and hand-on-heart the Human Geography and Planning department, made me feel like a part of the family from day one! The department is relatively small, so when Head of Subject David Haigh inevitably tells you that you’re now part of a family, you best believe him…

Many of our degrees have field trips/site visits throughout the course, this is an incredible way to make strong bonds with your peers and lecturers, and let’s be honest who doesn’t love a fieldtrip abroad? Ask anyone on my course and they will say that the fieldtrips are the highlight of their time studying at our school.

Finally, but most importantly you will create a home from home, and an extended family. In the first few months, you’ll create memories that you will cherish, just enjoy it!