How can community pharmacists support improved help-seeking for dementia among the African Caribbean population

PhD Spotlight | Omaedo Iyoko

Omaedo Iyoko

I first qualified as a pharmacist back in Africa, worked for a bit in some teaching hospitals there before migrating to the UK. After qualifying to practise as a pharmacist in the UK, I chose to work as a community pharmacist and have done so for over a decade. In the meantime, I combined work and study to obtain a Masters degree in public health.

• PhD Title: Exploring the potential for community pharmacists to support improved help-seeking for dementia among the African Caribbean population
  • Supervisors: Professor Claire Surr, Dr Alys Griffiths and Dr Sarah Smith

Tell us a bit about yourself and your path to your dementia research

My journey to research started after I noticed a gradual decline in the cognitive abilities of my aunty who came visiting from Africa. Drawing attention to this observation, my extended family dismissed it as ‘normal old age occurrence’, as my aunty was in her late 60s. She was later diagnosed as having dementia after a routine visit to the GP. The months that followed the diagnosis saw me dwelling a lot on the fact that there are many older Africans out there who have been left to suffer unnecessarily, because their dementia symptoms have been ‘normalised’ by friends and relations. And I wondered how I, as a community pharmacist, can help. This then birthed my research question: How can the community pharmacist support improved help-seeking for dementia among the African Caribbean population?

Why did you choose Leeds Beckett?

Determined to make a difference, I searched a few universities but settled for Leeds Beckett University because I knew it is a university that would afford me the opportunity of working with leading experts in my field of research, as well as the opportunity of acquiring invaluable skills, experiences and opportunities while contributing to a body of knowledge.

What is your research about and what makes you passionate about it?

Seeing that community pharmacists engage with many patients every day, as a non-appointment-based service, I believe it is worth exploring the potential for community pharmacists to encourage help-seeking for dementia among the African Caribbean population. The passion to make a difference and leave a place better than I met it has left me with a strong desire to contribute to the body of knowledge in pharmacy and dementia care.

How have you applied what you’ve learned from your work at the School of Health?

Combining work and study, I have, on quite a few occasions, applied the knowledge so far obtained from my research to improving the dementia knowledge of both the community pharmacists I work with and the African Caribbean people I have come across. It is heart-warming to see how interested they all are in knowing more.

How would you reflect on your time as a postgraduate researcher at Leeds Beckett?

Aside from the trainings, seminars, conferences that have enhanced my personal and professional development, my favourite experience has been that of benefiting from the expertise, guidance and support of my supervisors, and the School of Health, which gives a feeling of belonging to a closely knit community.

Omaedo Iyoko