I want to support children who have experienced trauma in their lives

Student spotlight | Deirdre Millar

Deidre Millar smiling

Hi, my name is Deirdre, I am currently an MA student on the Social Work course.

Tell us a bit about yourself and what drew you to Social Work

Hi, my name is Deirdre Millar and I am originally from Ireland. I moved to Leeds in 2013 to do my undergraduate degree in education studies at Leeds Beckett. I had a great experience at Leeds Beckett, I made friends for life and the tutors were so supportive. After finishing my undergraduate degree, I went on to work in a nursery and then a children’s home. I found a passion for working with children who displayed challenging behaviour as a result of experiencing trauma in their life. I wanted to be able to support the individuals that I worked with and help them reach their desired goals when they felt that they were not possible. I found in my role as a residential practitioner that there were some areas in which I would like to support the young people, however, not being a qualified social worker prevented me from doing so. I have a strong passion for working with children and families, and hope that by becoming a qualified social worker I can then pursue a career in working in the Child and Family Court Advisory Service.

What made you choose Leeds Beckett?

I chose Leeds Beckett as I previously studied my undergraduate here, the tutors were fantastic and could not have been any more supportive during my undergraduate degree. The facilities are also great at Leeds Beckett and the campus is easy to navigate around. I am so glad I decided to return to Leeds Beckett as a Masters student.

What has been your favourite thing about your time studying at Leeds Beckett?

The tutors definitely have a big part to play in my experience at Leeds Beckett. It has been very strange starting a degree during the Covid-19 pandemic, however, the tutors have made the teaching online engaging, and they are always available to discuss anything further if required. I have also very much enjoyed the structure of the course and the assessment. I’m not a fan of exams so this year has been great as it has been exam free and assessed through placement, e-portfolio and essays.

What advice would you give someone thinking about studying this course?

Just Do It! It has been the best decision that I have made in my career. Work hard and plan ahead to avoid any obstacles. Reach out to other students on the course and tutors as they are always happy to help with anything at all.

What will your story be?

Studying with us is a great choice, check out some of our courses and see for yourself!