My passion for helping people led me to this course

Student spotlight | Eleanor Roberts, MSc Public Health - Health Promotion

Students walking in front of James Graham building, Headingley Campus

Tell us a bit about yourself and what drew you to Public Health

I completed an undergrad in sport and exercise science at Leeds Beckett and absolutely loved it. I loved the atmosphere at Beckett and the relationships I had formed. After a year out teaching swimming, during Covid-19 I decided to do a Masters in public health. I have always had a passion to help people and could not figure out how to do that, however, the Public Health course has pointed me in the right direction and made it possible.

What made you choose Leeds Beckett?

In the first instance, as an 18-year-old, I absolutely loved Headingley Campus. I came for an open day and fell in love with it. It just felt right and exciting compared to other universities I had visited. It was also very good for the course I was studying at undergrad and then Masters level too. Lots of recommendations from people that I knew who were older and also went to Beckett.

What has been your favourite thing about your time studying at Leeds Beckett?

It has to be the social aspect and the large emphasis on sport that the university has. Joining a team was the best thing I did as I had the best experiences and the best friends from that. Similarly, the sense of community I had with my Masters course was also great, despite it being a distance learning course and not meeting any of my peers! The age ranges and different backgrounds / walks of life on the course made it very fun and interesting.

What advice would you give someone thinking about studying this course?

I think be aware that it is distance learning!! I wasn’t aware at the beginning so that came as a shock to me, especially navigating my way round all of the technical aspects. However, it is important to fully throw yourself into the course, into the discussions around various topics etc. Also the group work – this was one of the best parts of the course as you got to know people that you had not met or spoken to before, so it’s important to put your everything into that too.

What will your story be?

Studying with us is a great choice, check out some of our courses and see for yourself!