Even though an online open day isn’t the norm, it can still be an incredibly valuable for prospective students. Just because you aren’t speaking to people in person, it doesn’t mean that you can get any less out of it. For me, I often lose my train of thought or forget key points if I’m talking to someone face-to-face but creating a barrier of online interaction actually gives me the time to focus and retain the information provided.

Aside from the obvious merits of talking to the academic teams, an open day is about so much more! The pastoral and support services at Leeds Beckett are second-to-none and utilising them will lead to a far more fulfilling university experience. I’ve listed some of the services below which I would definitely recommend talking to, so you can get the most out of the open day and your time at the university.

Student Wellbeing

Our student wellbeing team is one of the most important departments within the entire university and familiarising yourself with them early will help to make the transition to studying at Leeds Beckett as seamless as possible.

These services have been vital during the COVID-19 pandemic, and even though we hope this won’t happen again for a long time, the importance of their assistance still remains. They offer a range of services including counselling, bereavement support, help if you’re an overseas student, and online support groups. If this is something you feel like you would benefit from, I would suggest talking to some of the team early on to assess the support offered.

Student Money Advice

When I was studying, I had a part-time job but was often struggling for money towards the end of the month. However, after arranging a meeting with the Money Team, I was able to streamline my outgoings and cut down significantly. Aside from being a good group of people to talk to, they were able to help with more specialised knowledge about external funding and scholarships I could apply for. 

If you find yourself in a similar situation to me and are struggling a lot financially, the Money Team can also discuss the option of applying for a financial hardship bursary. As this is a bursary you won’t have to pay it back, and it can truly be a lifesaver if you are finding it hard to make ends meet.

The Admissions Team

If you are coming into further study from industry, or with some unique circumstances, the admissions team will be very helpful. Even if you see a specific set of entrance criteria online, that doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t be accepted with alternative qualifications. Having the opportunity to talk this through with the admissions team early on could make all the difference when applying.

The Library

Even though you won’t get to see the libraries at the Open Day, talking to the staff based there is something you definitely don’t want to miss. When I first started, I was gobsmacked by just how much the academic librarians knew about my niche area of research, so don’t be shy asking for assistance. Talking to them at the open day will give you a good indication of the resources available in your area, which is incredibly helpful when considering where to study.

Talk to a Student

Last but not least, there will be an option to talk to a current student, which is a very valuable. They will be on hand to answer any question, whether it’d be about accommodation, the local area, or the courses themselves.

I know the current situation isn’t the best, and in an ideal world you would love to visit the campus in person, but an online open day can still offer some invaluable information as you consider studying at Leeds Beckett. I’d recommend noting some questions down before you sign in so you’re able to get the most out of the session and following up with key departments where necessary. Don’t be afraid to ask a lot of questions, that’s what the open day is for!