What is ACS?

Afro Caribbean Society (ACS) is a place where people who have a strong interest in African and Caribbean Culture can come together to learn more about this topic. In this society, we do a lot of fun activities especially for people of minority groups who may find it challenging to meet people of similar heritage. For instance, we have a collaboration with an events company in Leeds to have a Squid Game night and everyone who participates in it will have the chance to win £1000. In addition, we have also worked with local nightclubs to celebrate independence days like on October 1st we celebrated Nigerian Independence Day where the music was Nigerian artists. Furthermore, we have a culture ball pending in January where we will encourage the members of the society to wear clothing of their heritage and we will have cuisine from different African and Caribbean countries.

ACS committee group photo

The committee

How I found out about the society

I found out about ACS before I joined university through Instagram and I asked to be added to the WhatsApp group chat. It was in this chat where everyone was able to communicate and answer any questions that we had. Before joining the society, I wanted to really know the kind of socials that took place – the society made it a really friendly place to ask questions and even allowed us to give ideas about what societies and events we would like to see.

My role in the society

My role within in the society now is the Marketing Officer – our digital marketing team is very big with three other members involved. As I especially like video, I help create video content such as IG Reels, TikToks & IGTVs. As well as some fun video projects which we are currently working on to help increase the brand’s recognition.

I became a part of the committee by applying and speaking with the president and explaining why I believe that I would be a great member of the team. ACS is a very popular society and we have sponsorships with businesses like Turtle Bay and many local restaurants and events teams. This is why this is so important for our marketing team to be efficient and work hard to produce amazing content as our role is not only representing the university’s ACS but all the businesses that support and sponsor us. Our sponsorships give us funds and resources to create activities for our members. For example, our partnership with Turtle Bay means that we are able to run a cocktail-making social with them.

I really wanted to be a part of the committee because I enjoyed being a member so much in my first year at university, and I feel as though being black student myself I understand the importance of finding friends who also come from a similar background to me when coming to university.

The benefits of being part of the society

• Amazing discounts at many black-owned business in the Leeds area including Flava Hut and Lynx.
  • Job opportunities to help increase diversity for BAME Students through the #10000blackinterns and our sponsorship with Turtle Bay communicate with our ACS if there are any job opportunities available for our members
  • A great community of likeminded individuals who share similar interests - I have met some of my best friends through the ACS community and when I graduate will be moving to a new city to live with them.
  • A place to understand different cultures - I have met some people who have helped me learn about my own culture even more. I am Nigerian but was brought up in a very white dominated community so never really explored my culture much. Coming to university I’ve met friends who have been willing teach me dishes to cook and have bonded over Afro artists.
  • Meet people from other universities