This focused workshop will provide you, as a new governor or trustee, with the knowledge and skills you will need to be an effective member and contributor to the work of your board. This workshop will cover various aspects of governance and school management to assist you in your new role.
This is part of a series of workshops, others include:
This workshop is suitable for all school governors or trustees who are new to governance and want to better understand their new role and its associated responsibilities.
This training will help you to develop your skills; enabling you to effectively contribute to the three core functions of governance required of all school and academy boards:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction.
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the performance management of staff.
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent.
Date and Location
We will be running a series of workshops centrally throughout 2017-18:For more information or to book a place on a workshop please contact us.
We also offer a bespoke training service for Governing Boards. If you are part of a cluster, Teaching School Alliance, multi-academy trust or wider partnership and would like to run this programme for your group of schools please contact us. Our sessions can be delivered at a venue to suit you.
For a place on one of our central workshops:
£55 per participant per workshop. If three or more governors attend from one school or academy, the cost per participant per workshop will be £50.
This training can be facilitated for individual schools, multi-academy trusts, Teaching School Alliances and Local Authorities. These bespoke workshops can be tailored to meet your local needs and context, please contact us for more information about this service.
Our team of trained facilitators have a broad range and depth of leadership experience, ensuring that our training is pitched to best serve your needs and development. The team comprises experienced governors, current or former headteachers and senior leaders.
This workshop supports governors to understand and apply the three core functions of a governing board.
- Gain an understanding of your role and its responsibilities.
- Know what constitutes effective governance, exploring the six key features it is based on, namely: Strategic leadership, Accountability, People, Structures, Compliance and Evaluation.
- Learn how a board sets a vision and strategic priorities that have pupil progress and achievement at their heart.
- Explore the processes that boards use to:
- Monitor and review progress against agreed goals.
- Manage risks effectively.
- Communicate and listen to all stakeholders.
- Ensure that they are compliant with statutory and contractual requirements.
- Understand how a skills audit can help you to identify your skills and knowledge gaps, enabling you to plan for your own professional development.