Develop your staff for your organisation's future success
Degree Apprenticeships offer a new, cost-effective way to develop your workforce, attract new talent and inject vitality into your business for sustainable growth and success. Apprentices gain industry knowledge and practical, relevant experience which is uniquely tailored to your business, by combining on-the-job training with flexible study.
A degree apprenticeship is the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree (BA/ BSc) or masters degree qualification and takes up to three and a half to four years, to complete, studying part time.
Organisations with a wage bill in excess of £3 million can fund course fees using their Apprenticeship Levy.
More information on the apprenticeship levy can be found on the Government’s website.
We currently offer Degree Apprenticeships in:
Built Environment & Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Building Services Engineering – Design Engineer
- BSc (Hons) Building Services Engineering – Design Engineer (Level 6 Top-up)
- BEng (Hons) Building Services Engineering – Site Management
- BSc (Hons) Building Services Engineering – Site Management (Level 6 Top-up)
- BSc (Hons) Civil Engineering – Design Engineer
- BSc (Hons) Civil Engineering – Site Management
- BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying
- BSc (Hons) Building Surveying – Chartered Surveyor
- BSc (Hons) Real Estate & Property Management*
- BSc (Hons) Project Management**
- MA Town & Regional Planning (Chartered Town Planner Apprenticeship)**
- BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing
- BSc (Hons) Mental Health Nursing
- FdSc Nursing Associate
- BA (Hons) Social Work**
- MSc Advanced Clinical Practice
- BA (Hons) Business Management Practice (Chartered Manager)
- BA (Hons) Business Management Practice (Chartered Manager) RETAIL
- MBA Senior Leader
- BSc (Hons) Digital & Technology Solutions
- MSc Digital Solutions
*Subject to Final Approval
**Subject to University Approval Processes
What are the benefits for employers?
- Meet the unique needs of your business – with Degree Apprentices learning at work, they are able to develop the knowledge and occupational competencies demanded by specific job roles, and meet the unique needs of your business.
- Increase your productivity – Degree Apprentices can keep your business up to date with the latest techniques and technology, increasing your productivity for the future.
- Fill your higher-level skills gaps – higher-level skills are vital to business performance and economic growth. Through Degree Apprentices you can fill your higher-level skills gaps efficiently and effectively by tailoring the learning.
- Develop existing staff – you can develop your existing staff by allowing them to undertake a Degree Apprenticeship or enabling them to work with a Degree Apprentice in the workforce, through mentoring opportunities and more.
Levy paying employer
If the annual pay bill of your organisation exceeds £3m you will pay for your apprenticeship training through your levy account. Once you have exceeded the spend on your Levy account you will then move to the co-funded model where you will pay 10% of the cost and the Government will co-fund this by 90%.
Non-levy paying employer
If you are a non-levy paying organisation the government will co-fund your apprenticeship training by contributing 90% of the costs and you will pay the remaining 10% of costs.
For further information on apprenticeship funding visit the Governments website.
You will be responsible for recruitment of Degree Apprentices. However, we can work with you to promote your opportunities via our website.
All employers must enter into an Apprenticeship Agreement with their apprentice in accordance with government requirements. You will also enter into an Employer Agreement with Leeds Beckett University which states the responsibilities between you as employer, Leeds Beckett University as training provider and the apprentice.
What support will students receive
Students on the course will join the Leeds Beckett community, giving them access to all the facilities and support available to full-time undergraduate students, including:
- An academic adviser and module tutor (a subject specialist for each module studied).
- University wide support services, including course administrators, student wellbeing team, careers service and disability advice.
- A Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) which supports learning and access to teaching materials.
- World class library facilities which are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. Our online library offers access to tens of thousands of digital resources, including eBooks, eJournals and databases.
- Specialist computing labs and access to software and systems which are accessible remotely, enabling effective off-campus study.
- Leeds Beckett Student Union.
- World class sports facilities.
- A wide range of student social and sports clubs.
Work with us
At Leeds Beckett University we have a track record of delivering work-related education, industry and business partnerships and programmes. We are keen to work with organisations to develop new Degree Apprenticeships, tailored to your needs. If you are looking to up-skill your current employees, attract new talent, or would like to find out more about how we can work together, we’d love to hear from you. We are keen to work with organisations across all sectors, giving you real input into your sector’s skills provision.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. The apprentice, upon completing and passing their course, will graduate with the same qualification as any student completing an undergraduate or postgraduate course.
Yes. This is a great way to up skill your current workforce and support them into new roles in the organisation. For staff who may not have the formal qualifications, learning gained from work experience will be considered.
No. There is no upper age limit. However, the training costs for employers may vary for individuals, depending on their age.
As an employer you will have all the normal statutory employer responsibilities for the apprentice. In addition, you will need to agree to provide paid time off from work for study, provide in-company support/mentoring for the apprentice and collaborate with us during the recruitment phase to ensure the apprentice meets your job/employment criteria and the university’s academic entrance requirements.