Develop your staff for your organisation's future success
Degree Apprenticeships offer a new, cost-effective way to develop your workforce, attract new talent and inject vitality into your business for sustainable growth and success. Apprentices gain industry knowledge and practical, relevant experience which is uniquely tailored to your business, by combining on-the-job training with flexible study.
A degree apprenticeship is the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree (BA/ BSc) or masters degree qualification and takes up to three and a half to four years, to complete, studying part time.
Organisations with a wage bill in excess of £3 million can fund course fees using their Apprenticeship Levy. At present we are unable to deliver degree apprenticeships for non-levy paying organisations.
More information on the apprenticeship levy can be found on the Government’s website.
90% of apprentices stay in employment after completing their programme. (Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, Apprentice Survey, 2014)
We currently offer Degree Apprenticeships in:
We’re working hard with industry professionals and local and national companies to increase our Degree Apprenticeship portfolio. We are currently developing degree apprenticeships in the areas of:
- Nursing – Registered Nurse
- Social Work
- Healthcare Science Practitioner
- Quantity Surveying
- Civil Engineering Site Management
- Building Services Engineering Site Management
- Construction Site Management
- Chartered Legal Executive
What are the benefits for employers?
- Meet the unique needs of your business – with Degree Apprentices learning at work, they are able to develop the knowledge and occupational competencies demanded by specific job roles, and meet the unique needs of your business.
- Increase your productivity – Degree Apprentices can keep your business up to date with the latest techniques and technology, increasing your productivity for the future.
- Fill your higher-level skills gaps – higher-level skills are vital to business performance and economic growth. Through Degree Apprentices you can fill your higher-level skills gaps efficiently and effectively by tailoring the learning.
- Develop existing staff – you can develop your existing staff by allowing them to undertake a Degree Apprenticeship or enabling them to work with a Degree Apprentice in the workforce, through mentoring opportunities and more.
Organisations with a payroll exceeding £3 million per annum, make a payment of 0.5% of any staff costs above this threshold into an apprenticeship levy account. These monies are then available for the organisation to spend on accredited apprenticeship programmes.
We are currently unable to deliver degree apprenticeships to non-levy paying organisations.
For further information visit the government's website:
You will be responsible for recruitment of Degree Apprentices. However, we can work with you to promote your opportunities via our website.
All employers must enter into an Apprenticeship Agreement with their apprentice in accordance with government requirements. You will also enter into an Employer Agreement with Leeds Beckett University which states the responsibilities between you as employer, Leeds Beckett University as training provider and the apprentice.
What support will students receive
Students on the course will join the Leeds Beckett community, giving them access to all the facilities and support available to full-time undergraduate students, including:
- An academic adviser and module tutor (a subject specialist for each module studied).
- University wide support services, including course administrators, student wellbeing team, careers service and disability advice.
- A Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) which supports learning and access to teaching materials.
- World class library facilities which are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. Our online library offers access to tens of thousands of digital resources, including eBooks, eJournals and databases.
- Specialist computing labs and access to software and systems which are accessible remotely, enabling effective off-campus study.
- Leeds Beckett Student Union.
- World class sports facilities.
- A wide range of student social and sports clubs.
Work with us
At Leeds Beckett University we have a track record of delivering work-related education, industry and business partnerships and programmes. We are keen to work with organisations to develop new Degree Apprenticeships, tailored to your needs. If you are looking to up-skill your current employees, attract new talent, or would like to find out more about how we can work together, we’d love to hear from you. We are keen to work with organisations across all sectors, giving you real input into your sector’s skills provision.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. The apprentice, upon completing and passing their course, will graduate with the same qualification as any student completing an undergraduate or postgraduate course.
Yes. This is a great way to up skill your current workforce and support them into new roles in the organisation. For staff who may not have the formal qualifications, learning gained from work experience will be considered.
No. There is no upper age limit. However, the training costs for employers may vary for individuals, depending on their age.
As an employer you will have all the normal statutory employer responsibilities for the apprentice. In addition, you will need to agree to provide paid time off from work for study, provide in-company support/mentoring for the apprentice and collaborate with us during the recruitment phase to ensure the apprentice meets your job/employment criteria and the university’s academic entrance requirements.
We are ranked 4th in the UK for graduate employment.
- 2Leeds Beckett University is among the top five universities in the UK for producing graduates who go onto be CEOs.*
* Source: Emolument.com
- 3We have strong links with professional bodies and leading employers.
- 4The University was given a fve star rating for employability in the QS stars Development Roadmap.
- 5Leeds Beckett received a 93% overall satisfaction rate from our students*
* i-Graduate Student Barometer, Autumn Wave 2016
- 6Our research is recognised as world-leading or internationally excellent in several areas.