What is Distance Learning?
Very simply, to study by Distance Learning means you don't have to be based in Leeds to take one of our courses. Wherever you are and whatever you want to study, it's a great option for flexible learning.
When you choose one of our Distance Learning courses, you can do just that – study at a distance, at a pace that suits you.
Our Distance Learning Team
We've been running distance learning courses at Leeds Beckett for many years and welcome students across the world - from Yorkshire to Botswana and Trinidad to Germany.
Our dedicated Distance Learning team is made up of specialists who make sure that our students have a great education and a great experience.
We ensure that:
- each course is the same quality and level as a course studied on campus
- the teaching and learning materials are designed to help you learn and succeed while studying at home
- the support we provide to Distance Learning students is prompt, efficient and helpful
We work closely with academic staff - the subject experts - to ensure they have all they need to deliver great courses that help our Distance Learning students thrive in their careers and lives.
Benefits of Distance Learning
- Distance Learning is a great way to progress further in your career - you can balance the demands of your course with your everyday commitments, allowing you to keep working while you learn.
- You don't have to come on to campus to attend lectures and seminars, so you won’t have to worry about relocating.
- You'll have the option to study at home after the kids have gone to bed, in a library, in a coffee shop - or even on the bus. In fact if you can access the internet, you can access everything you need for our distance learning courses.
- Some of our distance learning courses have additional start dates throughout the year, giving you added options.
- Any qualification you earn by Distance Learning is of equal value to one obtained studying on campus.
- You can use other university libraries, so you’ll have the benefit of learning resources close to where you live.
Support while you study
We put a lot of time and effort into ensuring you have a great experience with us. All Distance Learning students are given an induction programme and course handbook, which specifies exactly what is expected from you - and what you can expect from us.
Just because you aren't learning on campus doesn't mean you'll have to cope on your own - you'll have the support of a personal tutor along with the University's Student Hub and Wellbeing Centre. They are on hand to offer you advice about everything from academic issues to stress and anxiety.
Tools for learning
Our students log in to a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) instead of attending lectures or seminars in person. The VLE gives you access to course materials such as videos, e-books and other documents. You also use it to submit your assignments and to receive feedback.
As well as the VLE you'll communicate with us through our online library, online forums, Skype conference calls and email. Some of our courses give you the opportunity to access live lectures, podcasts and blogs - there's even the chance to attend an on-campus learning weekend for certain courses.
How to apply
You can apply for any of our distance learning courses online, but first you need to register your details. You can do that here.
If you have any questions about any of our courses, contact us on email@example.com or call us on +44(0)113 812 3113.
We work with specialist organisations to ensure that our distance learning courses deliver the best qualifications possible. Our partners include:
- Pearson - owners of the Financial Times and global online learning experts, we currently utilise Pearson’s world-leading virtual learning environment (VLE) to deliver select online course.
- Chartered Management Institute - the membership organisation for professional managers, our Executive MBA was designed with and is endorsed by the CMI.
- National Skills Academy for Sport and Active Leisure - this national industry body accredits our UK Centre for Events Management (UKCEM).
- The Institute of Hospitality - recognises our Events Management courses.
- The National Outdoor Events Association - recognises our Events Management courses.
- British Hospitality Association - recognises our Events Management courses.
- British Psychological Society - our MSc Psychology (conversion award) is accredited by the BPS.
- Institute of Travel and Tourism (ITT) - we were the first UK university to be recognised as a Centre of Excellence by the ITT, the membership trade body dedicated to improving professional standards in the travel and tourism industry.
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - our MSc Construction Law and Dispute Resolution opens the door to membership of this professional body.
- United Nations World Tourism Organisation - certifies our MSc Responsible Tourism Management, the only course of its kind in the world to have achieved this certification.