Power, Performance and Play - An International Conference on Caribbean Carnival Cultures
Leeds West Indian Carnival will be 50 years old in August 2017. The oldest Caribbean-style street carnival in Europe, created and led by British Caribbeans, will be celebrated in a conference by the Centre of Culture & the Arts at Leeds Beckett University in partnership with Leeds West Indian Carnival.
The conference is shaping up to be an excellent event with a global scope involving academics, costume designers, musicians, filmmakers and founding members of the Caribbean carnival in Leeds. Plans also include a Civic Reception and welcome by the Lord Mayor of Leeds and an evening of reggae and soca at the Leeds West Indian Centre.
The keynote speakers for the conference will be:
- Tony Hall, internationally renowned Trinidadian carnival playwright and director of Jouvay Institute and Lord Street Theatre Company.
- Professor Milla Riggio, world-leading researcher of Trinidad carnival from Trinity College, Connecticut.
- Michael la Rose, designer and leader of London’s People’s War Carnival Band and chair of the George Padmore Institute.
Call for Papers
The Centre for Culture and the Arts is open to ideas and suggestions regarding contributions for the conference. These may take the form of papers, workshops and exhibitions. We are particularly interested in discussing the exceptional fusion of art, politics, pleasure and play that carnival represents. Please ensure that your abstract conforms to one or more of the following themes:
- The relationship between carnival and diasporic identities.
- The cultural history of Caribbean carnival in the UK.
- Carnival and the politics of emancipation and practices of resistance.
- Transcultural relationships between UK and global Caribbean carnivals.
- Carnival and the body.
- Carnival as a site for conviviality, pleasure and social cohesion.
- The commercialisation of carnival.
- Intergenerational relationships and carnival practices.
The deadline has now passed for submissions. If you have any questions please contact Danielle Hall, Conference Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For any general enquiries about the conference please contact Danielle Hall at the email address above