Creative Arts Building
We are planning a state of the art new building to create a home for our School of Film, Music & Performing Arts, which includes our internationally renowned Northern Film School, as well as our School of Art, Architecture & Design's fashion provision. The building will include a wealth of outstanding specialist facilities that include: dedicated studios for fashion; performing arts and music performance; a theatre as well as a black box studio; a 220 seat Dolby Atmos cinema; a TV studio, three large film studios as well as a green screen studio; a stop motion studio; Foley studios, dubbing and music recording studios; acoustic labs and a suite of post-production studios. In addition, there will be other specialist teaching spaces that will foster inter-disciplinary collaboration, creative talent and knowledge sharing.
The Creative Arts building will provide a home for the creative performing arts with spaces full of character that draw on Leeds Beckett University’s heritage for diverse learning skills opportunities. It will be student focussed providing collaborative, informal discussion space to nurture and prompt conversations and relationships. At the centre of the building will be innovative learning spaces, which allow students and staff from the school to collaborate in new and dynamic ways. However, all visitors to the building will enjoy a great arrival experience, entering an inspiring interior space that is welcoming and accessible to all.
The Creative Arts building will provide a new city landmark, elevating the visibility of the University at this important city location and providing a resource that we believe will contribute to the creative economy in Leeds. The scale and stature of the building will ensure that it complements the city scape and makes a positive contribution to Leeds’ bid as the European Capital of Culture 2023. The building will become a gateway to the planned Leeds Innovation District, which will provide a catalyst for the productive, sustainable and inclusive economic development for the city. We intend for the Creative Arts building to be a dynamic threshold - bringing ‘town and gown’, academia, industry and business thinking together.
Built on a site with a 4.5 meters fall, the design responds intelligently to these level changes, with attractive, dynamic and engaging spaces at street level, rising to state-of-the-art, industry quality facilities that deliver technological accuracy and excellence at the upper level. This outstanding new building will provide a creative focus for the School’s undergraduate, postgraduate, doctoral and research and enterprise programmes and act as a hub for our cultural and industry partnerships across the city.
- Status: Planning approved
- Architects: Hawkins\Brown
- Development Partner: Downing
- Investment: £75 million
- Please appoint specialist mech and electrical design team – not seen mention of this in process so far – is it being done in-house/design & build? Always a weakness on 'firmness' and 'delight' – poor function on other arts buildings.
- Please consider covered motorcycle parking. A few of us are using motorbikes all year round!
- An excellence presentation of the proposed building. It looks very exciting. Impressive architects.
- Looks really exciting
- Impressive, will be a valuable asset.
- Growth potential.
- Please link timetabling into conversations on teaching space.
- All looks very impressive. An efficient use of space – in particular the underground facilities. Great to see creative arts coming together under one roof. Useful informative session.
- A game changer for the city and beyond.