Archelon Sea Turtle Protection Society Greece
Archelon, was founded in 1983 and works to protect sea turtles and their habitats in Greece through monitoring and research, developing and implementing management plans, habitat restoration, raising public awareness and rehabilitating sick and injured turtles. In 1990, the organisation began running summer field projects on Crete to monitor and protect the nesting population of Loggerhead turtles, and raise awareness among local people and tourists.
Our volunteers will join Archelon’s large number of volunteers from all over the world and be accommodated across various campsites. Each campsite is in a different site on the island, up to an hour’s travelling distance between each.
- Morning surveys searching for baby turtle tracks and locating nests, marking of hatching nests and dealing with any hatchlings that are still on the beach
- Night surveys to tag adult female turtles during nesting season
- Excavations of hatched nests to determine the hatching success
- Beach patrols to inform beach users how to behave on the nesting beaches to prevent harming the nests
- Safe-guarding of nesting beaches at night to prevent people from entering the beaches and therefore disturbing turtles
- Running of information kiosk to help raise awareness
- Presenting and managing information events at hotels and on touristic boats
- Assisting with camp-life, e.g. cooking and cleaning on a rota basis
Project location: Crete, Greece
Duration: 4 weeks
Dates: Saturday 7th July 2018 > Saturday 4th August 2018
Accommodation: Camping with fellow volunteers on campsites arranged by charity organisation
Fundraising: £100 to contribute directly to the charity that you will be working with.
Project Fees: £850 (all first-time volunteers are eligible for our £100 bursary, which would make total fees payable £750)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday 19th November 2017
Selection Event will be held on Friday 1st December 2017, 12.00 pm – 2.00 pm
Read full details on the Greece project and learn how to apply here
Find out more:
INFORMATION SESSION - Headingley campus
We are hosting an information session for each project over the next two weeks, where we will talk specifically about a particular project, as well as the volunteering process. If you have 10 minutes to spare, please feel free to drop by and find out more (dates for each session below).
Tuesday 7th November, Caedmon Hall, G05, 3.00 - 4.00 pm: GREECE
VOLUNTEERING FAIR - City Campus
OnMonday 13th November 2017 as part of a Global Engagement Week we are running an International Volunteering & Partners Fair from 10am - 3pm in The Gateway, Leslie Silver Building (the area outside the library).You can meet previous volunteers, ask questions, learn more about the charities, watch videos, read newsletters and previous volunteers blogs, WIN hoodies and T-shirts - plus much more! Our Volunteer partners from the Students Union, and some local charities, will also be there for you to talk to about local volunteering opportunities available.
Facebook page - please ensure that you are following us on social media to keep updated with our latest news and events.
Watch a YouTube clip on Volunteering with Archelon