Archelon Sea Turtle Protection Society Greece
Archelon, was founded in 1983 and works to protect sea turtles and their habitats in Greece through monitoring and research, developing and implementing management plans, habitat restoration, raising public awareness and rehabilitating sick and injured turtles. In 1990, the organisation began running summer field projects on Crete to monitor and protect the nesting population of Loggerhead turtles, and raise awareness among local people and tourists.
- Morning surveys to look for baby turtle tracks and locate nests, marking of hatching nests, dealing with any hatchlings that are still on the beach
- Night surveys to tag adult female turtles during nesting
- Excavations of hatched nests to determine the hatching success
- Beach patrols where we inform beach users how to behave on the nesting beaches in order not to harm the nests
- Safe guarding of nesting beaches at night to prevent people from entering the beaches and therefore disturbing turtles
- Running of information kiosk
- Giving slide shows and conducting Information Tables at hotels and touristic boats
Project location: Crete, Greece
Duration: 4 weeks
Fundraising: £100 to contribute directly to the charity that you will be working with.
Applications available from late October (more information to follow soon).