Sports Coaching / Teaching
- Deliver sports coaching activities in the townships surrounding Durban where they may have little or no equipment
- Deliver sporting activities alongside township coaches in sports such as football, rugby, hockey, netball, volleyball plus any other sports that you would like to introduce
- Engage with the wider community of the townships including younger children who may come down to watch the coaching happening
To read more about the South Africa sports coaching project, please download our Project Information Document.
We have one South Africa project with two elements; Sports Coaching and Teaching. Volunteers will do one of these but not both.
Volunteers will be assigned to a small and basic remote Zulu school. Lessons are supposed to be in English (as opposed to the local language of Zulu) but this often proves difficult for the local teachers. Volunteers are needed to help with English and some other subjects. Volunteers need to be able to assist the teachers and also take lessons and run activities independently where necessary.
Because of the rural location of the school, some children walk about 10 km to school, often barefoot. The parents see the value of a formal education and understand that they are giving their children an opportunity that they may not have had themselves. All the young people at the school are eager to learn, as they understand that English language skills will help them get paid employment in the tourism industry. Volunteers will need to be confident enough to teach on their own to a class of approx 15 - 30 pupils of all abilities. Other subjects will be taught as well as English to give them a great learning experience for the time you are there.
Volunteer Role(s): Teaching
Volunteers will run activities with an educational emphasis, this may include English teaching, reading, writing and working with children. Ideally, volunteers from the following backgrounds would be suitable but please also get in touch if you have relevant skills to support the project work:
- Teaching & education studies
- Social work & youth development
- Play work
To read more about our projects in South Africa teaching, please download our Volunteer Information Document.
Location: Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa (Durban or a remote Zulu village)
Duration: Three weeks
Dates: Friday 19th July (pm flight) – 11th August 2019
• SPORTS COACHING: Hostel dorms, sharing with fellow volunteers
• TEACHING: Shared rented accommodation with fellow volunteers
Fundraising: £100 which will be used to buy equipment or items to be used whilst on project.
• SPORTS COACHING: £1300 (all volunteers are eligible for our Global Engagement £250 bursary, which would make total fees payable £1250 + £100 Fundraising = £1350)
• TEACHING: £1700 (all volunteers are eligible for our Global Engagement £250 bursary, which would make total fees payable £1450 + £100 Fundraising = £1550)