East African Playgrounds
East African Playgrounds is a UK registered charity that aims to change the lives of children across East Africa by developing children’s learning opportunities and environments. You will work alongside local communities to build simulating and exciting playgrounds, run arts and games programmes as well as developing long-term employment and training opportunities for young people across East Africa.
- Live in a rural community outside Jinga in Uganda
- Work alongside Ugandan staff to build a playground for the community that is hosting you
- Digging foundations with basic hand tools
- Sanding metal work which will be placed and welded by the Ugandan staff
- Painting and decorating the playground in line with the communities wishes
- Arts, play and sports activities with the young people from the community
- Project location: Jinga, Uganda
- Duration: Four weeks
- Dates: Friday 27th July 2018 > Monday 27th August 2018
- Accommodation: Very basic accommodation
- Fundraising: In addition to the project fees, each volunteer has to raise a minimum of £800 which will be donated to East African Playgrounds to cover the costs of the playground and the staff who work for EAP. We, and your Team Leader, will support you in your fundraising activities
Project Fees: £1600 apx (dependent on flights) (all first-time volunteers are eligible for our £250 bursary, which would make total fees payable £1350)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday 19th November 2017
Selection Event – DATE TBC – likely Monday 27th November 2017
Read full details on the Uganda project and learn how to apply here
Find out more:
INFORMATION SESSION - City Campus
We are hosting an information session for each project over the next two weeks, where we will talk specifically about a particular project, as well as the volunteering process. If you have 10 minutes to spare, please feel free to drop by and find out more (dates for each session below).
City Campus Tuesday 14th November, Rosebowl 205, 5.00 - 6.00 pm: UGANDA
We will announce details any rooms TBC via our Facebook page - please ensure that you are following us on social media to keep up-to-date with our latest news and events.
VOLUNTEERING FAIR - City Campus
OnMonday 13th November 2017 as part of a Global Engagement Week we are running an International Volunteering & Partners Fair from 10am - 3pm in The Gateway, Leslie Silver Building (the area outside the library).You can meet previous volunteers, ask questions, learn more about the charities, watch videos, read newsletters and previous volunteers blogs, WIN hoodies and T-shirts - plus much more! Our Volunteer partners from the Students Union, and some local charities, will also be there for you to talk to about local volunteering opportunities available.
Facebook page - please ensure that you are following us on social media to keep updated with our latest news and events.