East African Playgrounds
East African Playgrounds is a UK registered charity that aims to change the lives of children across East Africa by developing children’s learning opportunities and environments. We work alongside local communities to build simulating and exciting playgrounds, run arts and games programs as well as developing long term employment and training opportunities for young people across East Africa.
- Live in a rural community outside Jinga in Uganda
- Work alongside Ugandan staff to build a playground for the community that is hosting you
- Digging foundations with basic hand tools
- Sanding metal work which will be placed and welded by the Ugandan staff
- Painting and decorating the playground in line with the communities wishes
- Arts, play and sports activities with the young people from the community
Project location: Jinga, Uganda
Project dates: August/September 2017
Team size: 10
Cost: £1,500 (Each first time volunteer will get £250 off this price)
Fundraising: In addition to the fees each volunteer has to raise a minimum of £800 which will be donated to East African Playgrounds to cover the costs of the playground and the staff who work for EAP.
Application deadline: Extended till January
Selection event: Individual interviews can be organised