Uganda - Gorilla Trek
East African Playgrounds
The Gorilla Trek is the ultimate African adventure, allowing you to explore, discover and develop the incredible country of Uganda. As an ethical, affordable trip, it’s what you need to have the summer of a lifetime.
You’ll explore the natural beauty of the country over a five-day trek – trekking and canoeing across the lakes and foothills of western Uganda, you’ll experience every terrain the world has to offer. You’ll canoe across lakes, climb over mountains, trek through rainforest, and experience stunning scenery at every turn of the journey.
You’ll discover the last remaining wild silverback gorillas, feeling like an intrepid explorer as you walk paths no-one else has walked to find them. You’ll spend an hour in the company of the gentle giants, and contribute to the conservation of this critically endangered species by visiting.
You’ll develop a local community, by transforming an empty playing field into a safe, fun and exciting playground for children to enjoy for generations to come. Living and volunteering within a local community, you’ll help transform a community school by building an amazing new playground with a team of trained Ugandan builders and welders. You will also assist on our creative play programme to inspire children at a school to learn, explore and develop themselves.
Beyond that, you’ll have a few chances to take advantage of being in the ‘adventure capital’ of East Africa. You’ll have opportunities to do anything from chilling in a hammock in an incredible campsite to bungee jumping over the mighty River Nile itself. You can quad bike or horse ride through local villages, raft or kayak to your heart’s content or even take a sunset tour through the source of the River Nile itself.
- Five day trek to experience the amazing Ugandan mountain Gorilla's
- Live in a rural community outside Jinja in Uganda
- Work alongside Ugandan staff to build a playground for the community that is hosting you
- Digging foundations with basic hand tools
- Sanding metal work which will be placed and welded by the Ugandan staff
- Painting and decorating the playground in line with the communities wishes
- Arts, play and sports activities with the young people from the community
- Project location: Jinga, Uganda
- Duration: Three weeks
- Accommodation: Very basic accommodation
- Fundraising: In addition to the project fees, each volunteer has to raise a minimum of £1100 which will be donated to East African Playgrounds to cover the costs of the playground and the staff who work for EAP. We, and your Team Leader, will support you in your fundraising activities
Project Fees: £2000 approximately (dependent on flights) (all volunteers are eligible for our £250 Global Engagement Bursary, which would make total fees payable approximately £1750)
Facebook page - please ensure that you are following us on social media to keep updated with our latest news and events.