Soccer in the Streets - USA
There is the opportunity for 10 volunteers to get involved with a community coaching programme with Soccer in the Streets a charity based in the city of Atlanta, Georgia, USA. Volunteers will coach and deliver life skills workshops to underprivileged children and young adults based within community centres and refugee districts within the city. Accommodation for volunteers will be provided by the employees and partners of the charity in residential areas of the city, and there will be the opportunity to experience many different social and cultural activities in addition to the volunteer work. You must hold or be willing to work towards a FA Level 1 football coaching qualification.
- Planning and delivering soccer coaching sessions and other sports activities to a variety of young ages across the city.
- Planning and delivering life skills workshops to provide positive social enhancement and professional development to youth from various ethnic backgrounds.
- Assisting with the planning and delivering of events to promote the profile of the charity, and help with fundraising.
- Providing mentoring and assisting with participants across a variety of planned activities.
- Assisting with cultural day trips across the city to educate the participants and provide positive social engagement and personal development.
Project location: Atlanta, Georgia
Project dates: June 2017 (4 weeks)
Team size: 9
Cost: from £1,400 (Each first time volunteer will receive £250 off this price)
Fundraising: In addition to the fees each volunteer has to raise a minimum of £100 which will be donated to the ongoing work of Soccer in the Streets.
Wednesday 2 November, 12-2pm, Headingley Hub
Friday 4 November, 12-2pm, The Gateway, City Campus
Application deadline: ***EXTENDED TILL END OF JANUARY***
Selection event: Early February