- Study & Courses
- University Schools
- Art, Architecture & Design
- Built Environment & Engineering
- Clinical & Applied Sciences
- Computing, Creative Technologies & Engineering
- Cultural Studies & Humanities
- Events, Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Film, Music & Performing Arts
- Health & Community Studies
- Social Sciences
- University Life
- About Us
- Leeds Beckett Websites:
- Current Students
- Quick Links (A-F)
- Quick Links (G-Z)
Quick Links (A-F)
Quick Links (G-Z)
Life In Leeds
- 10 local days out for less than £10
- 10 Most Instagrammable Places In Leeds
- Leeds Insiders
- Your student town
- Food and Drink in Leeds
- Nightlife in Leeds
- A to Z Guide To Leeds in 2018
- Culture in Leeds
- Transport and Getting Around
- 10 Reasons You'll Love Living In Leeds
- Sport in Leeds
- 7 Things You Didn't Know About Leeds
- Where to take friends and family when they visit
- Making The Most Of Yorkshire
- Shopping in Leeds
- Festivals in Leeds
Malaika Shaw, singer song writer
Truly part of the Leeds DIY music scene, Malaika Shaw is an up and coming jazz, soul and pop singer songwriter making a name for herself in Leeds and beyond. She records and releases all her own material in collaboration with other up-and-coming musicians and producers from the city.
She’s a regular performer at bars and gigs all over Leeds.
How long have you lived in Leeds?
I’ve been here for six years now, since coming to study a degree in pop music. I didn’t want to leave after graduating.
Favourite Leeds places and spaces?
Kirkstall Abbey, the city library, Grand Arcade Tea Rooms, Mrs Atha’s, Zaap Thai and The Angel pub.
Describe Leeds in three words
Chilled. Creative. Interesting.
I love living in Leeds because...
There’s an amazing relaxed atmosphere and such a great music scene. As a musician, I have been able to experience how diverse our music scene is. It’s great to see how supportive local promoters have been to showcase new music from Leeds.
Favourite night out?
It’s got to be reggae night at Sela bar.