Event DetailsThursday 26th - Friday 27th October 2017
09:30 – 17:00
Cloth Hall Court, City Campus, Leeds Beckett University
Had a really fun two days, I've always wanted to learn After Effects but was so intimidated. Mike made it very achievable and the course itself was very affordable.Attendee review, 8 September 2017
Adobe After Effects is an industry-standard tool for professionals working in 2D and 3D motion graphics, visual effects and compositing. It offers a powerful, flexible and affordable toolset to help you deliver creative motion content for film, video, web and mobile.
This course provides an introduction to the essential tools, techniques and operation of After Effects and will equip you with the key skills to develop the motion graphics and video content you need.
Topics will include an application overview, basic animation techniques, working with transparency and multi-layered video, applying and using basic effects, type animation, shape layers, working with nested and pre-composed compositions, and basic rendering.
Whether you already have some basic experience with After Effects or are an absolute beginner, this course will give you a strong foundation in the core of the application and an introduction to its many features, tools and effects.
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Create motion graphics and animation and render this as video in the format of your choice.
- Understand the essential tools, techniques and workflow of After Effects.
- Learn the main keyboard shortcuts to increase your efficiency.
This course is for you if:
- You are working, or about to work, with video and would like to produce creative and memorable content that includes motion graphics, object animation, dynamic animated typography, visual effects or multi-layered (composited) video.
- You are working with video and would like to expand your capabilities beyond the basic effects and animation tools in your editing software.
- You would like to widen your skills and explore the creative possibilities of this industry-standard motion graphics, visual effects and compositing software.
(The price is inclusive and as an education provider we do not charge VAT)
We offer a 10% discount to Leeds and Bradford Chamber of Commerce members. To claim your discount please call 0113 812 1725 and quote your Chamber membership number.
To keep you posted we will post upcoming additional dates for this course here. If you would like to enquire about future dates, please feel free to contact us.
We can design our courses to meet your specific business objectives, developing a tailored plan to deliver the results you're looking for.
- What is Affect Effects?
- Project structure.
- Interface and palettes.
- A first After Effects project.
- About keyframes.
- Anchor point essentials.
- Motion sketch.
- Orient and blur.
- Roving and hold.
- The graph editor.
- Move, trim and slip.
- Split and sequence.
- Looping footage.
- Image sequences.
- Frame rate and time stretch.
- Blending modes, effects and solids.
- Finding and applying effects.
- Effects animation and animation presets.
- Adjustment layers.
- Layer styles.
- Masks and mask animation.
- Masking with the pen tool.
- Alpha and luma mattes.
- Multiple masks and modes.
- Masks and paths for effects.
- Working with type.
- Type on a path.
- Basic type animation and presets.
- Creating shapes layers.
- Modifying and animating shape layers.
- Understanding parenting.
- Introducing nesting and precomposing.
- Render settings and the render queue.
- Rendering with Adobe Media Encoder.
What will I learn?
You will learn:
- An overview of the After Effects workflow.
- Project organisation and file management.
- Essential keyframe animation techniques.
- How to use anchor point, roving and hold keyframes and motion sketch.
- An introduction to easing and the graph editor for animation refinement.
- Layer management and basic layer editing.
- Frame rate and time stretch options.
- How to create and use solid layers, adjustment layers and blending modes.
- How to find, apply, modify and animate effects.
- Essential effects tour.
- How to apply and use layer styles.
- How to work with animation presets and Adobe Bridge.
- How to work with masks.
- How to use alpha and luma transparency mattes.
- How to create and format type.
- Animate text on a path.
- The fundamentals of the text animation system.
- How to use text animation presets.
- How to create, modify and animate basic shape layers.
- An understanding of parenting, nesting and precomposing.
- How to render in After Effects and Adobe Media Encoder.
Attending the course
We are open from 09:00 for tea and coffee.
Refreshments will be available and lunch will be provided.
All the materials you will need will be provided.
We’re based in the centre of Leeds at Broadcasting Place, and we have cutting-edge facilities including the Development Studio for desktop, web and mobile platforms. The studio draws on academics with extensive high-level industrial experience in advanced programming techniques and world-class creative digital content essential to success in the creative digital industries.
Trainer & Reviews
Mike is a highly experienced designer, visual creative and software trainer. In addition to his training work he runs his own studio focused on digital imagery for advertising and marketing communication, serving clients in the UK, Europe and USA.
He has a broad and deep skill set across design, photographic based imagery, 3D CGI, video and motion graphics. Mike has over 15 years’ experience as a trainer and is an Adobe Certified Instructor in Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro and After Effects. He is also an Adobe Video Specialist.
Very pleased with the course, building and friendly staff!Aidan Rawnsley, 8 September 2017
Really good course, delivered by really knowledgeable course leader.Mike Kelly, 8 September 2017
Mike was a very good teacher, he was engaging and very knowledgeable.Dan Tulip, 27 June 2017
Mike has a fantastic way of teaching. He is approachable and creates a great learning environment for everyone no matter what level of knowledge you come in with.Attendee review, 27 June 2017
Challenging however Mike communicated the concepts in a clear, easy to understand way. He was knowledgeable and had an approachable manner.Attendee review, 7 April 2017
Really good , thanks very much - very pleased with what i learnt.Attendee review, 7 April 2017
Everything was fantastic!Attendee review, 27 January 2017
I thought the course was fantastic and I’ll be recommending the NTI to any colleagues looking for training courses.Tiffany Mazza, 27 January 2017
Decent!Attendee review, 27January 2017
All excellent. Tutor was enthusiastic and knowledgeable and taught in an easy going manner.Richard Micallef , 28 October 2016
Great course and venue!Attendee review, 28 October 2016
Fantastic course and fantastic tutor!Attendee Review, 31 August 2016
I have found this course very useful and helpful and would consider NTI as a first choice if they cover the course subject.Attendee Review, 31st August 2016
The facilities, course management & structure has been incredible - Mike has been a wonderful tutor and I would definitely recommend him & NTITom Walters, 23 April 2016
The tutor was knowledgeable and presented the course very well.Attendee Review, 23 April 2016
The tutor Mike was very good and the course itself was very informative. The venue at NTI was excellent.Steven Burnham, 23 April 2016
Really enjoyed. Thank you!Attendee Review, 9 February 2016
Mike was great. This course has allowed me to become familiar with the interface which I will move on to develop in future learning.Attendee Review, 17 July 2015
Fantastic facilities, catered for my dietary needs. Trainer was very knowledgeable and keen to answer questions related to my own workflow.Attendee Review, 28 April 2015
Good tutor, good content, good venue - that's why I came back!Attendee Review, 28 April 2015
Thanks for the excellent After Effects course last Thursday and Friday. The facilities were fantastic and Mike's knowledge and enthusiasm on the subject was inspiring! Hopefully I’ll be able to attend a more advanced AE course in the near future.Attendee Review, 27 February 2015