Event DetailsThursday 26th - Friday 27th October 2017
09:30 – 17:00
Cloth Hall Court, City Campus, Leeds Beckett University
Gary did a great job delivering an engaging training event with highly informative and interactive content. I would have no hesitation in recommending the course to others.Darren O'Meara, 22 June 2017
Learn how to use InDesign to produce eye-catching, high-quality designs for print and the web, creating artwork and creative layouts from scratch and using various production techniques.
This course will introduce you to the page layout and design applications of InDesign.
Starting with InDesign basics, you will build skills and confidence in navigating this application and using its key tools. You will become a proficient user of InDesign, able to create layouts from single pages to complex multi-page documents.
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Improve your productivity by defining master page styles and use the most effective ways to complete common tasks.
- Implement consistency across your output by working with tables and implementing formatting techniques.
- Add finesse to your documents with colour, transparency and effects.
- Increase effectiveness by using best-practice techniques for outputting to print, web and mobile devices.
Designers who want to create eye-catching page designs suitable for both print and the web, learning from an experienced practitioner and Adobe authorised trainer.
We expect delegates to be familiar with operating systems; able to navigate for files, and proficient using a keyboard and mouse.
(The price is inclusive and as an education provider we do not charge VAT.)
We offer a 10% discount to Leeds and Bradford Chamber of Commerce members. To claim your discount please call 0113 812 1725 and quote your Chamber membership number.
To keep you posted we will post upcoming additional dates for this course here. If you would like to enquire about future dates, please feel free to contact us.
We can design our courses to meet your specific business objectives, developing a tailored plan to deliver the results you're looking for.
- The opening module aims to build confidence in navigating and modifying the workspace and will include browsing, opening and viewing documents and defining preferences.
- Focusing on defining, creating and modifying document attributes, this module looks at the initial stages of developing InDesign files, using preset file types for quick set-up and building a document structure with layers, guides and a baseline grid.
- Save valuable time by defining page characteristics with master pages, once adopted by pages in your document respond to the changes made just once to its master. Automate features such as page and chapter numbering.
- Explore methods for placing raster and vector artwork within InDesign such as PSDs and PDFs and how to format its appearance and transform controls. Use the links panel to track updates and changes to the linked artwork.
- Learn how to manage and define objects and their characteristics, be it text frames or graphic frames. Create libraries of content so that you can repurpose them and save valuable time.
- You will explore ways to define specific colour from industry-standard books, such as Pantone, as well as defining your own colour styles and applying them to objects in the document, and sharing custom colour libraries with colleagues.
- Whether you are creating, pasting or importing text inside InDesign, how you achieve it and how it is handled will greatly affect its appearance. InDesign possesses a myriad of typographic formatting and styling tools.
- Once you have completed your design treatment, you will often need to perform simple tasks such as spelling and grammar checks, but you can also search for images below a specific quality threshold or missing text with Preflight.
- Ensuring your document is set-up for the intended output is just as important as managing its content. Learn how to prepare documents for print and web publishing.
- They can be found in abundance in everyday life, but tables provide an essential design aid. InDesign provides superb tools for defining every facet of a table's appearance.
What will I learn?
You will learn how to:
- Navigate and adapt the user interface to suit your needs.
- Set up and organise document grids, guides and baselines.
- Import and format type and artwork.
- Use reviewing and proofing tools to output accurate results.
- Define master page styles, numbering and chapter techniques that will significantly improve your productivity.
- Work with tables and formatting techniques to implement consistency throughout your products.
- Use colour, transparency and effects.
- Output to print, web and mobile devices.
Attending the course
We are open from 09:00 for tea and coffee.
Refreshments will be available and lunch will be provided.
All the materials you will need will be provided.
We’re based in the centre of Leeds at Broadcasting Place, and we have cutting-edge facilities including the Development Studio for desktop, web and mobile platforms. The studio draws on academics with extensive high-level industrial experience in advanced programming techniques and world-class creative digital content essential to success in the creative digital industries.
Trainer & Reviews
Gary Bradley is an Adobe Certified Instructor and an award-winning graphic designer with over 17 years' commercial experience working as a designer and Creative Director in digital print, animation, CGI and illustration.
Gary has led global projects in creative multimedia technology, art direction and management for prestigious brands such as Virgin Atlantic, British Airways, Nike, and Sainsbury's. His courses are designed to nurture and enhance your talent. He will take the knowledge that you have got and help you become more adept, more effective and more productive. He will share with you proven best practice techniques and little-known short cuts that can and will save you hours - all delivered in a style and language that you can relate to.
Really great session, informative and really friendly tutor. I'm sure i'll make use of everything i've learnt very soon!Attendee review, 22 June 2017
Really useful and excellent handbook to take away. Thanks!Attendee review, 22 June 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed the course and the trainer was calm, thoughtful and helpful.Attendee review, 22 June 2017
Excellent tutor - very approachable & Knowledgeable!Jo Francis, 22 June 2017
Gary is highly knowledgeable & is passionate about the software.Attendee Review, 7 April 2017
Gary is a fantastic tutor who can explain the whole process really well. Highly recommend.Attendee review, 7 April 2017
As a novice there was a lot to learn but Gary was very helpful and very knowledgeable + patient.Attendee review, 8 March 2017
Excellent course, Gary made everything seem accessible and simple.Attendee review, 11 January 2017
Thank you Gary for an excellent couple of days.Attendee review, 11 January 2017
Great tutor and facilities.Attendee review, 11 January 2017
Gary was fab. So knowledgeable & helpful. Very supportive learning environment.Aneliese Bennett , 20 October 2016
This was excellent, one of the best courses, everything was made with easy to follow steps and the tutor and course work were to the best possible standards.Attendee review, 20th October 2016
Brilliant and came well recommended, thank you.Emily Bell, 18 August 2016
Really useful - highly recommend to anyone! Great style & pace of training.Attendee review, 28 April 2016
Gary was fantastic, very knowledgeable & helpful. Would recommend this training to anyone!Attendee review, 28 April 2016
Overall great. Very useful & up to date technologyAttendee review, 24 February 2016
Very good tutor. Supplied everything & made each step easy to followAttendee review, 24 February 2016
Really useful course - will be recommendingKaren Angell, 2 December 2015