To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

Financing Your Studies

What are your options?

Many individuals choose to undertake further study for a number of reasons; to further their career, improve professional opportunities or even just for the love of the subject they choose to study.

In this section of the website you will find all you need to know about tuition fees, discounts, loans for fees and living costs, grants and university bursaries, other funding sources such as NHS funding, employer funding and funding for research programmes.

You can also find lots of other information such as PGCEs, disabled students allowance and other useful places to find funding for postgraduate studies.

Tuition Fees

Tuition Fees Costs

Leeds Beckett University, like most other universities, sets its postgraduate fees to reflect the mode of study (part-time or full-time) and your residency status (UK, EU, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, and International).  It also depends on the course you have chosen, with the fees varying from course to course. For the most accurate breakdown of costs view the online prospectus or contact our Fees Team at

Paying Your Fees in Instalments
If you are paying your own fees, we recognise how difficult it can be to do this all at once. That's why, if your course lasts at least a full academic year and costs £270 or more, we offer instalment options of two or seven payments subject to conditions.

Please note: instalment arrangements are not available if your fees are paid by a sponsor or employer.

If you’re applying to an NHS related course, you may be eligible to have your fees paid in full. You may also be entitled to apply for an NHS means-tested bursary. You can find out more on the NHS Businesses Services website:

PGCE Courses
If you are studying a full-time postgraduate course leading to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) you may be eligible to apply to Student Finance England (or equivalent for students from Wales, Northern Ireland or Scotland) for the full-time support that is available to undergraduate students, the Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan, Maintenance Grant, Supplementary Grants and Disabled Students Allowances. Part-time teacher training students can take out a tuition fee loan. Visit Student Finance England’s website for information about support:
Real Work Experience

Funding & Opportunities

Alumni Discount
Are you a graduate of Leeds Beckett University? If so you could be eligible for a 10% discount on your postgraduate study fees! Find out more here.
Early Payment Discount
We also offer an early payment discount of 10% for full repayment of fees. If you are a full-time non-EU student coming to study at Leeds Beckett University for the first time you may receive a 10% early payment discount if you ensure that full payment of the discounted amount is with the University before the start of your course. 

  • Download our Postgraduate Fees and Funding Guide here to find out more.
  • View our terms and conditions here

More than half of all postgraduate students study part-time, which means you can work while you study to help cover the course costs. Our Job Shop can help you find suitable employment. Visit this page for instructions on how to sign up.

Leeds Beckett Hardship Funds

Once you have started your course you can apply for financial help from the Leeds Beckett Hardship Funds. There is an expectation that you have made realistic provision at the start of the course to fund both your tuition fees and your living costs. Priority is given to students with disabilities and students with children. Find out more hereYou can also contact the Student Money & Advice Centre on

Disabled Students' Allowance

You may be eligible for a Disabled Students' Allowance of up to £10,362 per year. Our Disability Services Team is your first point of contact to discuss any of your requirements. You can email them at:

Other Funding

Funding your course

The majority of Postgraduate courses will not be eligible for finance through the Student Loans Company, however a small number of specialised courses might be eligible. You can find out whether your course is entitled to funding and more details about other potential sources of funding at the following web address:

Other Funding
Many students choose to take out a Professional and Career Development Loan (PCDL), a Professional Studies Loan or other graduate loans from one of the high street banks. This can cover the cost of fees and also help towards living costs while you study. The interest on a PCDL is deferred until after your studies are completed. To find out more, call the PCDL helpline on 0800 100 900 or visit

Charities and Trust Funds
You can often apply for partial funding from charities and educational trusts, depending on what course you are taking. There are different forms of funding including studentships, scholarships and bursaries. To find out call the Educational Grants Advisory Service on 020 7254 6251 to ask for a questionnaire, you can also search online.

Social Work Courses
Currently if you do not already hold a Higher Education Social Work qualification and are studying a postgraduate social work course approved by the Health and Care Professions Council you may be eligible for an income assessed basic grant, an income assessed maintenance grant, payment towards tuition fees, allowances for dependants and disabled students’ allowances.

NHS-related Courses
NHS students can access up to a £1,000 grant and an income based bursary from the NHS (the actual amount you receive will vary dependent on your personal circumstances).  Additional allowances are available for disabled students and additional support for those with dependent adults and children. You can also claim help with travel costs to those incurred when travelling to university.  For more information about support in 2014-15, as it becomes available, visit and click on student bursaries.

Employer Sponsorship
You may work for an employer who is prepared to help fund your postgraduate study as part of your staff training and development. Find out more at

PGCE Courses

Some teaching students may be eligible to get a Training Bursary which will vary depending on teaching subject and degree class. The bursary is paid in monthly instalments. See for more information about PGCE funding.

Visit our Open Day All Postgraduate Courses


I am interested in Postgraduate studies and would like to visit the University
If you would like to visit Leeds Beckett to learn more about postgraduate opportunities, then please register for our Open Day
Do you offer any Postgraduate only accommodation?
We do have quieter blocks for Postgraduate students - please request this on your application form and we will do our best to accommodate your preferences.
What qualifications do I need to study a Postgraduate course at Leeds Beckett?

For the majority of postgraduate courses we would require you to have an undergraduate degree, however the entry requirements vary from course to course. All entry requirements for our postgraduate courses can be found on our online prospectus.

When do I apply for a Postgraduate course?

For the majority of Postgraduate courses we do not have a set deadlines as there can be different start times throughout the year. Instead, we will continue to accept applications until the course is full. Therefore we would always recommend applying as early as possible.

Please be aware that some professional qualifications and postgraduate courses in the areas of Health and Education have an application deadline. If you have any questions about application deadlines, please get in contact with a member of the course enquiries team by emailing the Admissions team on or by telephoning 0113 812 3113.