Disability Action Group
The Disability Action Group was formed in 2007 as a network to address matters related to any form of disability and welcomes all staff and students within our University.
Disability refers to someone who has a physical or mental impairment or an impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on the person’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.
Leeds Beckett aims to make all aspects of its provision as accessible and inclusive as possible by providing a culture and environment in which students, prospective students, visitors and staff can feel comfortable and achieve their full potential. This is in line both with our responsibilities under the Public Sector Equality Duty within the Equality Act (2010) and our institutional strategic aims
The Disability Action Group is an opportunity for both staff and students to meet to address any concerns or issues that they, or fellow students, staff and visitors may be facing.
How can I join?
To join the mailing list please contact the Disability Action Group's forums chair, Christine Simpson.
The purpose of the Forum is:
- To provide a safe, confidential and supportive environment in which to discuss issues relating to Disability and Accessibility;
- To provide support, networking and share best practice across all equality strands; to assist in the monitoring and reporting on compliance with equality and diversity legislation and good practice;
- To contribute to the development of policies directly relating to equality and diversity, and those which indirectly affect equality and diversity issues through the equality impact assessment process.
Office Manager of Campus and Residential Services (CARES) and Estate Services. Christine also looks after the University Entertainment Licensing and is responsible for ensuring that all equipment for students with a disability are purchased and installed in the University Halls of Residence flats for the start of the academic term. Christine attends the University Equality and Diversity Committee.
- Disability Action Group Meeting Wednesday 5th September 2018 12.00 - 1.30 (203 Broadcasting Place, City Campus)
- Disability Action Group Meeting Thursday 7th February 2019 12.00 - 1.30 (Headingley Campus)
- Disability Action Group Meeting Monday 3rd June 2019 12.00 - 1.30 (City Campus)
The Disability Action Group has been a forum for communication across Facilities and Service Areas. We have successfully lobbied changes to the estate and been involved in a number of developments relating to adjustments, implementation and installation of facilities for students, staff and visitors. These include;
- In response to concerns raised about access the University has collaborated with colleagues and DisabledGo to produce our Accessibility Statement
- Improved access to James Graham: ramp access and accessible automated door
- Facility for portable hoists and disabled changing room at City Campus in the Rose Bowl
- Installation of a fully accessible suite in the James Graham Building (shower, changing couch, closomat toilet, full ceiling hoist)
- Ramp access to Northern Terrace and Queen’s Square House
- Automated door in Leslie Silver Building
- Transport: Extended hours for First Bus
- Living Well Poster for Students in the University Halls of Residence; this poster is placed in all student flats and provides information on Accommodation/Security/Equality/Disability and Welfare Services available
- Sharing knowledge about issues which students with a disability have within their Halls and University premises, i.e. equipment/access and timetabling.
- Equality impact assessment of the staff absence procedure (linked to disability).
Dyslexia Awareness Week - 2-8 October 2018
World Mental Health Awareness Day - 10 October 2018
- Disability History Month 22 Nov - 22 Dec 2018. UKDHM 2018 will focus on Disability and Music and will showcase how people with every type and degree of impairment can creatively express themselves through music.
World AIDS Day - 1 December 2018
International Day of Persons with Disabilities - 3 December 2018
- Disabled GO
- Disability Advice
- Supporting our Students
- Your rights, benefits, carers and the Equality Act
- Disability sport within Leeds
- The voice of learning disabilities
- Help and services provided by our University