Our University's Race Forum was created in 2010 with a remit to meet at least 4 times in the year to discuss, promote and air concerns students or staff may have affecting Race and Equality at the university.
Under the Equality Act 2010, ‘Race’ refers to a group of people defined by their race, colour, and nationality (including citizenship) ethnic or national origins. We aim to promote and raise awareness of issues affecting all staff and provide mechanisms and guidance for enhancing their contribution to Leeds Beckett. BME staff and students are under-represented in our University and a significant focus of the work of the Group.
How can I join?
11th September 2018 12.00pm - 1.30pm (Calverley 214, City Campus)
5th February 2019 12.00pm - 1.30pm (Headingley Campus)
4th June 2019 12.00 - 1.30pm (City Campus)
The purpose of the Forum is:
- To provide a safe, confidential and supportive environment in which to discuss issues relating to Race and Ethnicity;
- To provide support and networking and share best practice across all equality strands;
- To assist in the monitoring and reporting on compliance with equality and diversity legislation and good practice;
- To contribute to the development of policies directly relating to equality and diversity, and those which indirectly affect equality and diversity issues through the equality impact assessment process.
Chair of the Forum - Dr Thomas Fletcher
Dr Thomas Fletcher is a Senior Lecturer within Carnegie Faculty. Thomas's current research interests are broadly related to the sociology of sport and leisure and include: "race" / ethnicity, social identities, heritage, and equity and diversity.
Thomas specialises in the social and cultural aspects of sport, leisure and events. His current research interests relate to families and fatherhood, race, ethnicity and whiteness and social justice within the context of sport, leisure and events. Thomas has undertaken research and consultancy projects for a number of organisations, including the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), Higher Education Academy, England and Wales Cricket Board, Yorkshire Cricket Foundation, Sport Wales, Public Health England and Meetings Professional International (MPI)
Roger Kline, Research Fellow Middlesex University Business School
Annual Race Lecture 2017
Celebrating Race Equality & Diversity in Education 2014: Panel Discussion
Race Equality & Diversity Group Forum - 22nd May 2018.
- Race Equality Charter Mark
- Race, Racism and Racialisation in HE and Beyond; the 1st Race Equality and Diversity Forum Biennial Lecture October 17th 2012 The Rose Bowl, Leeds Beckett University. The event was hailed as a resounding success by the over 70 delegates that booked and those who turned up on the evening. The feedback has been excellent and there is much anticipation for the 2nd Lecture in the series in 2014! Keynote speakers were: Joan Saddler (National Director for Patient and Public Affairs at the National Health), Piara Powar (Executive Director of the FARE Network Football against Racism in Europe) and Kadija George (Literary Activity, Editor and Publisher of Sable Lit Mag).
- Work continues on our submission for the newly created Race Equality Charter Mark, a national initiative supported by the Equality Challenge Unit. Thank you to everyone who took part in our online survey last November as part of this. We subsequently held a number of focus groups with our staff and students from black and minority ethnic backgrounds supported by our Race Equality and Diversity Forum and the Student Union. The information from these, alongside a comprehensive range of ethnicity data, underpins the development of our institutional action plan which will shape our future race agenda and which is where the real journey begins.
- Equality and Human Rights Commission
- Race Equality Charter Mark
- Ethnic Relations: A Perspective from Critical Rationalism
- Solomos, J., & Hill Collins, P. (2010). Introduction in: The SAGE handbook of race and ethnic studies. London, SAGE.Introduction: Situating Race and Ethnic Studies
- Shades of white: an examination of whiteness in sport (Jonathan Long and Kevin Hylton)
- Delivering Diversity: Race and Ethnicity in the Management Pipeline (Prof Nic Beech, Prof Nelarine Cornelius, Dr Lisi Gordon, Prof Geraldine Healy, Prof Emmanuel Ogbonna, Dr Gurchathen Sanghera, Chidozie Umeh, Dr James Wallace, Patrick Woodman).
- The Equality Challenge Unit (ECU)
- www.bmepsychology.com - A project designed to help psychology diversify away from its White, Western focus by signposting to BME and anti-racist psychological work.
- Racial Diversity Matters: The Impact of Diversity-Related Student Engagement and Institutional Context in: Am Educ Res J June 2009 vol.46 no.2 pp.322-353
- Race in the workplace, The McGregor-Smith Review
- Race in the workplace, Government response to Baroness McGregor-Smith
- Exploring black and minority ethnic (BME) doctoral students' perceptions of an academic career