Research Case studies
Telling Tales of Difference?: Exploring South Asian, Muslim girls' experiences of PE and physical activity
Data were generated in three phases over two years and included observations; creation of research artefacts; and interviews. As well as undertaking a thematic analysis data were woven together to develop critical non-fictional narratives, enabling girls’ experiences to be acknowledged in an embodied sense. Taken together the narratives reveal a number of issues including: similarities with White girls’ experiences; some differences because of their positioning at the intersections of religion, culture and gender; and their ability to be active agents in resisting stereotypes and negotiating physical activity opportunities. Although girls had influenced change to after school provision teachers had not listened to girls’ concerns regarding the curriculum. Through collaborative work teachers could learn from the girls who consistently demonstrate resourcefulness and determination.
- Stride, A. (2013): Let US tell YOU! South Asian, Muslim girls tell tales about physical education, Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy, DOI:10.1080/17408989.2013.780589
- Stride, A. (2012) Telling Tales: South Asian, Muslim girls and their experiences of Physical Education, paper presented at the Australian Association for Research in Education, Sydney.
- Stride, A. (2012) South Asian, Muslim Girls and Physical Education: Telling Tales, paper presented at the International Convention on Science, Education and Medicine in Sport, Glasgow (Awarded Best Social Science Paper).
- Stride, A. (2011) Exploring South Asian, Muslim Girls' PE Experiences Using Narratives: Centralizing Difference in Feminist Thought, paper proceedings from the American Educational Research Association Conference, New Orleans.
- Stride, A. (2009) Being seen and heard: Using visual, participatory methods to engage young people in research, 3rd International Qualitative Conference in Sport & Exercise Science, Roehampton.
- Stride, A., Flintoff. A. & Scraton, S. (2009) Exploring difference in PE classrooms, paper proceedings from the American Educational Research Association Conference, San Diego.