Person-Environment Research Lab (PERL)
Led by Dr Eric Brymer, a Reader in the School of Sport, the Person-Environment Research Lab (PERL) takes a holistic approach to finding solutions for two interrelated issues confronting societies today: the health and wellbeing of populations and the state of the natural environment. Our vision is for a better life for people and the planet.
The group facilitate collaborations that develop new knowledge, provide evidence-based solutions and guidance for policy makers and practitioners, and positively impacts the everyday life of people and the environment.
The work of PERL is high in impact and provides guidance for a range of providers and policy makers including:
- Designers of urban environments
- Providers of education opportunities
- Those supporting the health wellbeing of communities and in institutions such as hospitals and schools
- Those using a variety of nature-based experiences as an intervention for mental health issues
- Conservation and sustainability workers
- Those investigating performance issues in extreme environments and outdoor spaces.
The PERL team is made up of a versatile and multifaceted team of researchers from across Leeds Beckett, in collaboration with researchers from the UK and further afield. The group works closely with industry and government organisations interested in the person-environment relationship from various fields such as architecture, ecology, education, public health, outdoor and adventure education, tourism, urban forestry, sport science and psychology.