Development of Omni-Channel Provision
Government funded ‘Re-imagining the High Street’ campaign. The Retail Institute conducted joint project with Leeds City Council Markets Service to offer investment for the development of new and innovative solutions that would attract shoppers back to the high street.
The main objective of this project was to develop an app that would replicate the unique atmosphere of traditional markets and create an online shopping service for traders and shoppers, using Kirkgate Market as an example.
What We Did
App Creation/Live Field Trials
Designed a three-phase approach that would:
- analyse consumer needs.
- develop the product - a 3D online shopping app to pilot the omni-channel experience for the market.
- test its functionality in live trials with a new ‘Click and Collect’ service.
Developed the shopping app, using gamification technology to reflect the unique ambience of traditional markets, enabling consumers to have an extraordinary experience of immersive online shopping.
Creation of a modern ‘out of hours’ marketplace for fresh produce that enables consumers to shop flexibly.
- A digital app based upon a realistic shopping experience - positively reviewed by 90% of participants.
- Implementation of a digital “marketplace” model of micro-businesses.
- An online platform for sole traders in the markets to enable them to compete on a wider scale.
- Overcoming food integrity issues to deliver produce to customers and identifying a number of delivery solutions and rating them in order of client preference.
- A short film about the project is available to watch here.
Why We Are Best Placed
- In-depth knowledge of the consumer journey and Omni-channel.
- Access to academics in various disciplines – enabling a seamless project team.
- Knowledge of SMEs (sole traders) and the barriers to online trading.