Coaching & Development
The course is the starting point for people who want to get involved in tennis.It is aimed at people who are enthusiastic about tennis and want to help a coach deliver Mini Tennis. It is endorsed by the UKCC (United Kingdom Coaching Certificate) and successful candidates will receive a Level 1 Award in Coaching Tennis awarded by 1st4sport. The main objectives are to train candidates in how to assist an LTA licensed coach with groups of mini tennis players.
IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ ALL COURSE DETAILS CAREFULLY BEFORE APPLYING
- External Candidates: £200
- Leeds Beckett Student/Staff: £190
|SATURDAY||3 MARCH 2018||10:00-17:00|
|SUNDAY||4 MARCH 2018||10:00-17:00|
|SUNDAY||22 APRIL 2018||10:00-17:00|
|SATURDAY||2 JUNE 2018||10:00-17:00|
|SUNDAY||3 JUNE 2018||10:00-17:00|
|SUNDAY||1 JULY 2018||10:00-17:00|
- Be at least 16 years of age on the first day of the course.
- Have an active interest and involvement in tennis.
- You will also need a signed letter of deployment from the club where coaching experience will be undertaken or request a letter of deployment from the course provider on the first day of the course. After completing your Level 1 course, you will need to have a DBS (formerly known as a CRB Enhanced Disclosure) if you wish to become registered.
- If you hold a UKCC endorsed, 1st4sport awarded Level 2 in another sport you can bypass Level 1 and take level 2.
- If you hold a teaching qualification (PGCE or equivalent) specialising in P.E. then you can bypass Level 1 and take Level 2 (Certificates must be sent with application).
- Motivate and inspire people to play tennis.
- Use effective verbal and non verbal communication skills.
- Organise tennis activity constructively and safely.
- Plan and deliver a structured lesson using LTA Level 1 coach resources.
- Have basic knowledge of tactics, techniques and rules of tennis.
- Have a full understanding of the structure of Mini Tennis.
The course is 3 days - 2 consecutive days followed by a 3-6 week break for practical experience and a final 1 day assessment. During the break between day 2 and day 3 candidates will need to complete their portfolio of evidence and complete a minimum 3 hours coaching assistant experience with a licensed coach mentor.
Coaching Assistant Practice
It is recommended that candidates have their coaching assistant experience organised before the course starts. However please do not panic if you haven’t organised this as it can be discussed on day 1 of the course. To do this coaching you will require a Deployment without DBS letter, again this can be obtained on the first day of the course if you have not organised this with your own club.
The course is assessed in three areas:
1. On court practical coaching assessment using course materials
2. Portfolio of evidence
3. Complete the 3 hour practical coaching between day 2 & 3
Candidates must attend all the sessions on the course at the same venue and pass all elements of assessment to be successful.Course Duration
- 3 Days
- Carnegie Sports Centre, Leeds Beckett University, Headingley Campus, Leeds, LS6 3QQ