The Junior Athletics Academy will be starting back on Saturday 21st January 2017 and will be running till the 1st April. Please note that the Academy will not take place on Saturday 25th March due to the West Yorkshire sport games. Hope to see you there.
Our Junior Athletics Academy runs on Saturdays during term time at our Headingley Campus. The session is open to Juniors between the ages of 8-16 years and is available for all abilities. Players will be provided with a high quality coaching programme allowing them to develop their own individual skills, through different drills and disciplines.
A typical session will consist of 1-2 different technical athletic disciplines, such as:
- High Jump
- Long Jump
- Triple jump
- Shot put
All the activities that the Juniors take part in have key transferable skills for their development.
Times and Costs
- 12:00 - 13:00 for 8-10 year olds
Cost per session: £3.00
- 13:00 - 14:30 for 11 years and above
Cost per session: £4.50
If you would like to attend the Carnegie Junior Athletics Academy please complete the attached enrolment form and return it to us. The Junior Athletics Academy is currently a drop in session, so no need to pre book. If you would like to attend then we meet for registration in the Sport and Active Lifestyles reception area. Post code is LS6 3QQ
If you require further information then please contact the Sports Development Officer, Kirsty McPhee, on email@example.com.
Meet the Coaches
Lead Coach of the programme- Daniel Gardiner
Event – Long jump (former decathlete)
Coaching background - My decathlon background gives me great knowledge in most of the track and field events.
- I have represented Great Britain a number of times and this has given me the ability to work with elite athletes as well as beginners.
- I was lucky enough to train with Jessica Ennis for 3 years which gave me a great insight into how an Olympic Champion trains.
- I am still competing in Athletics at a high standard and intend to focus more on the coaching side of the sport in the future.
- I started coaching on the athletics camps back in 2012 and enjoy seeing the numbers grow and the level of coaching increase.
- I currently lead the Spring and Summer camps which can attract up to 40 kids a day.
- I also coach when I can on Saturday mornings and this gives a chance for some of the children that enjoy the camps to get a bit more coaching outside of the school holidays.
- During the week I often go into primary/secondary schools and deliver athletics PE lessons. I have also been fortunate to do some inset days for local schools where I improve teacher’s ability’s to coach athletics.
- Highest world ranking – 5th place 2009 (Junior Decathlon)
- 12th at the 2008 World Junior Championships (Decathlon)
- 5th at the 2009 European Junior Championships (Decathlon)
- 6-time National Champion
- 3-time British University’s Champion
10-time North of England Champion
15-time Yorkshire Champion
- High quality indoor and outdoor facilities
- Develops basic track and field movements