Dr Melissa Hart
About Dr Melissa Hart
Having worked at University of Central Lancashire, University of Cumbria and University of Chester, Melissa joined Leeds Beckett University in January 2015. Her background in geography teaching and outdoor education compliments the Faculty portfolio of courses. Melissa spent many years working in field and outdoor centres teaching students from primary to adult age, leading expeditions oversees and working in freelance instruction before 11 years running a BSc programme in Outdoor Leadership. More recently she spent three years full time studying for a PhD on policy making discourses in academy schools.
- Outdoor education
- Experiential learning
- Cartography and navigation
- Foucault and education
- Postmodern qualitative approaches to research
- Academy schools and the privatisation of education
- Policy making discourses in schools
- Stockton SCITT
- Professional Values and Practice
- Developing Subject Competence
- School Based Independent Study
- Primary Education BA with QTS
- Professional Studies
- Developing Pedagogies in Science and P.E.
- Understanding Humanities and Languages
- Knowledge Building in Science and P.E.
- Early Years Education BA with QTS
- Foundation Subjects at KS1
- Education Studies BA
- A Primer on Educational Theory and Practice
- Education Masters Degree
Melissa's current research on policy making discourses in academy schools considers the policy notions of autonomy, accountability and partnership as they are enacted in the academy school. The research utilising a postmodern research approach to consider the truths constructed in contextual settings. A Foucauldian based theoretical framework helps illuminate disciplinary technologies inherent in the discourse of practice.