Professor Paul Gately
About Professor Paul Gately
Paul has been at the helm of MoreLife since it was established at Leeds Beckett University in 1999 and it is now one of the largest specialist training and services provider for tackling childhood and adult obesity. MoreLife’s research was commended as an impact case study for the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF).
Paul has led a broad range of innovative obesity research from understanding the influence of obesogenic environments to the impact of high protein diets on obese children, always conducted with the needs of service users at the heart of his research activities. With a strong focus on the link between research and practice, he believes this approach has never been more important. In addition, Paul and colleagues contribute to policy and practice development in the public, private and not for profit sectors in the areas of obesity, nutrition and physical activity. He has secured contracts worth over £20 million from the NHS and Local Authorities and has acted as a principal investigator for £5million worth of grants from charities and research funding agencies.
- Leeds Beckett academics share expertise at UK Congress on Obesity
- New centre to tackle obesity launched in Leeds
- Two universities join forces to launch new Health and Wellbeing Research Centre
- Event to explore findings from whole systems approach
- Leeds Beckett obesity project reaches halfway mark
- Beckett researchers to shed light on the ‘Truth About Exercise’
- Leeds Beckett researchers to contribute to Childhood Obesity Summit
- Designing a better approach will ensure progress in tackling obesity
- Leeds event to share findings to tackle obesity
- Leeds Beckett experts challenge publication of government’s childhood obesity strategy
- Greater understanding needed in order to predict weight management programme success