Professor Rhodri Thomas
About Professor Rhodri Thomas
Originally trained as an economist, Rhodri now engages in multidisciplinary research in the context of tourism and the events sector. His particular research interests are: (a) public policy studies, especially in relation to small firms, and (b) innovation and knowledge exchange. He is currently writing a book as part of Palgrave’s Critical University Studies series entitled Questioning the assessment of research impact: Illusions, myths and marginal sectors.
Rhodri has acted as a 'specialist expert' on policy issues for the OECD, the European Commission and for government departments and other agencies in the UK and elsewhere. He has completed several Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) grant and non-grant funded projects and is a member of their Peer Review College. His Chair was, uniquely, supported by the Institute of Travel and Tourism (ITT) for five years.
Rhodri is Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Policy Research in Tourism, Leisure and Events (ESCI listed; ABDC B), Co-ordinating Editor for the International Journal of Hospitality Management (ABS 3* IF 2.787) and Academic Editor for Sustainability (IF 1.789). He sits on the Editorial Advisory Boards of Tourism Management, Tourism Management Perspectives, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, Journal of Services Research, Journal of Worldwide Hospitality and Tourism Themes.
· PhD Supervision
Current research is primarily concerned with the impact of academic knowledge production on non-academic constituencies within the context of public policy debates about performance-based research funding.
- Events management at Leeds Beckett receives top accolade
- Award-winning Professor of Tourism Management joins Leeds Beckett
- Tourism Centre of Excellence status secured
- Leeds Beckett Dean to present at international tourism conference
- Flying high – graduation success for Leeds Beckett tourism student
- Leeds Beckett tourism student wins coveted award
- World-leading researcher on tourism in areas of conflict to take up professorial appointment
- Leeds Beckett appoint new head of research centre