[Skip to content]
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

Student Hub

Council Tax

Council tax is a tax on households, rather than individuals, and contributes to local services run by the council, such as waste collection, police and fire services. If you are a full-time student you can be exempted from your household’s council tax assessment.

If you are a full-time student who lives in Leeds you can use the online form on the Leeds City Council website to register your exemption from Council Tax: leeds.gov.uk/students-and-council-tax

If you live outside Leeds you can use the GovUK website to find your local council.

To count as a full-time student, your course must:

  • last at least 1 year
  • involve at least 21 hours study per week

If you live in a household where everyone is a full-time student, your household will be exempt, however if you live with residents who are not full-time students, they will still have to pay but may be eligible for a discount. You need to have an exemption certificate, issued by Leeds Beckett to prove that you are a full-time student. These will be available from MyBeckett from November.

  • If you have received a letter from your council, please contact them via phone or through their website.
  • If you are having problems with your council tax, for example; an existing council tax debt, you can contact our Money Advice Line on 0113 812 5593.
  • If you are having problems printing your certificate via MyBeckett please email us on registration@leedsbeckett.ac.uk or telephone 0113 812 3200.
  • It is important that you do not ignore a council tax demand as you may incur legal costs even if you are exempt.
  • If you’re concerned about a demand you've received you could also contact the Students’ Union Advice Service.

Browse A-Z

Back to Top Button
Back to Top Button