[Skip to content]
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video


Funding for Part-Time Students

All eligible undergraduate Part-Time students, who started their course after September 2012, can take out a student loan to pay their tuition fees.

Part-time students

Students studying part-time at 25% or more of the equivalent full-time course can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan from Student Finance England.  Students need to meet the residency rules which include students who are EU nationals.  Previous study does not affect entitlement unless students will be studying for a qualification which is equivalent to, or lower than one they already hold (ELQ).  There are exceptions to the ELQ rule for students studying for certain Engineering, Technology and Computer Science degrees.

For information about eligibility and how to apply read the SFE Guide for Part-time Students

Distance Learning students

Students studying an undergraduate Distance Learning course, who are studying at least 25% of the equivalent of a full-time course, can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan.

Disabled students who are taking a full-time course that normally requires attendance by distance learning; or who are taking a full-time distance learning course, because they are unable to attend the course for a reason relating to their disability, are also eligible to apply for the Maintenance Loan, Grants for Dependants and Disabled Students' Allowances.

Other disabled students who do not fit into the categories above can still apply for Disabled Students' Allowances in addition to the Tuition Fee Loan.


You can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan and other support at gov.uk/studentfinance

Part time Funding Guide Right Arrow

Plus Icon Disabled Students Allowance

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) are grants to help meet the extra course costs students face because of a disability. You may get DSAs if you have a disability, ongoing health condition, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty like dyslexia. 

DSAs can help pay for:

  • Specialist equipment you need for studying, like computer software 
  • Non-medical helpers, such as a note-taker or reader 
  • Extra travel costs you have to pay because of your disability 
  • Other costs such as photocopying or printer cartridges

You don’t have to pay DSAs back and they’re not counted as income for means-tested benefits or tax credits.

More information and how to apply:

Website: Disabled Students' Allowance

Plus Icon Leeds Beckett Hardship Funds

Part-time students can apply to the Hardship Funds. Depending on your circumstances it may be able to provide additional financial help towards the essential costs associated with being a student. Awards made from the Fund are usually non-repayable grants

Website: Hardship Funds Applications

Plus Icon Students who started before September 2012

Tuition Fee Grant and Course Grant
Undergraduate part-time students who started their course before September 2012 may be entitled to a Fee Grant and a Course Grant from Student Finance England. You need to be studying at least 50% of the equivalent full-time course.  The support is income-assessed and you will need to meet residency eligibility criteria. Students from other EU countries may be only be eligible for the Fee Grant.

Additional Fee Support Scheme
The Additional Fee Support Scheme is available to part-time undergraduate students who started their course before 2012 and whose fee grant is insufficient to meet the full tuition fee.

Website: Additional Fee Support Scheme

This page was last modified: 16/09/2018

Tell us what you think

Back to Top Button
Back to Top Button