[Skip to content]
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

Student Hub

Postgraduate Funding

There are a number of postgraduate funding options that students can explore and we recommend that students find out what funding is available to them and budget for postgraduate study well in advance of the start of their course.

Postgraduate Loans Scheme
In 2017/18 Postgraduate Loans of up to £10,280 will be available to help fund students undertaking a Master’s degree.

The loans will not be based on household income and will be available to full-time, part-time and distance learning students under the age of 60, studying most taught and research Masters subjects.

Eligible students can be UK Nationals (or have settled status in the UK) who have been ordinarily resident in the UK for three years on the first day of the academic year of their course start date. This must have most recently been ordinarily resident in England, but borrowers must not have moved to England solely for the purposes of attending the course.

EU students and Students from the EEA and Switzerland are also eligible, if they have lived in the EEA/Switzerland for three years before the start of the course.  They do not need to be resident in England before they start the course, but they do need to study the course in England.

The loans will be administered and paid by the Student Loans Company. Repayments will begin in 2019 and will be collected by HMRC at a rate of 6% of earnings above £21,000.  

See Introduction to Postgraduate Loans

Disabled Students Allowance
These are available for postgraduate students to help pay for extra costs you may have in attending your course, as a direct result of your disability.

NHS and Social Work courses
NHS and Social Work students could get funding from an NHS or Social Work Bursary.
Website: NHSBSA for the application form for 2016/17

Students studying on a full-time postgraduate teacher training course leading to Qualified Teacher Status may be eligible for full-time undergraduate support and a Training Bursary.
Website: Gov.uk
Website: Teaching Agency For information about Teacher Training Bursaries

Website: Scholarship Search

Employer Sponsorship
Website: Prospects

Charities and Educational Trusts
Use the online grants search on the Family Action website to find Educational Trust Funds and Charities who may be able to help.

Website: Family Action

Research Councils
Website: Research Councils UK

Professional and Career Development Loans
Website: Career Development Loan

See also: Hefce - Steps to Postgraduate Study

Browse A-Z

Back to Top Button
Back to Top Button