Registering with the Police
Do I need to register with the police?
When should I register with the police?
A letter will be sent to you from the Immigration and Nationality Department reminding you that your leave to remain is due to expire. Please reply as requested in the letter.
Application for extensions of stay in the UK should be made approximately 4-6 weeks BEFORE your existing leave expires.
For more information on how to do this and the help you can get from the Student Immigration Advice and Compliance team, please attend one of the visa workshops:
|Student Hub, Rose Bowl, City Campus
Do I need to inform the police when I go home at the end of my stay?
Contact the Immigration and Nationality Department before you leave and let them know the date you are leaving.
You can contact them by phone or e-mail.
You will need to take (per person):
- Your completed police registration form obtainable from the West Yorkshire Police (www.westyorkshire.police.uk) website by Downloading – Registration with the Police (PDF document)
- Your passport
- 1 passport size photograph
- Confirmation of your status in the UK (i.e. study letter)
- The administration fee of £34.00 for each passport. There is no reduction for married couples registering together.
How long does the police registration form last?
The police registration form lasts indefinitely but if lost it can cost £34.00 to replace.
Once registration is completed, you MUST inform the Police of any of the following changes, within seven days.
- Change of Address
- Change of College, University,
- Change of Occupation
- Change of Course
- Change of Marital status
- New Entry Visa granting an extension of stay
- New Home Office extension to your Visa New Passport or travel document issued
- Birth of child whilst in the UK
Failure to report changes can result in a fine of up to £5000 and/or face six months in prison.
The Immigration and Nationality Department
Pudsey and Weetwood Division
Pudsey Police Station
Tel (0113) 241 4199
View Larger Map
You do not need an appointment for register with the police but Leeds Beckett students should attend on Thursdays. For more information please visit: https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/contact-us/foreign-nationals-registration-scheme