Who is Eligible to Apply?
Applications will be considered from the following students:
- Non-final year students who satisfy one of the following:
- Students with children – for those eligible for means-tested benefits this could be in the form of a loan whilst they are waiting for their benefit payments to be assessed and issued.
- Students’ re-taking/re-sitting elements of their course either in or out of attendance across the summer.
- Students who are ill or have a disability and are therefore unable to undertake work, and for whom other benefits are not available.
- Students who have no alternative substantial means of support in circumstances where the administrator is satisfied that they are unable to secure alternative funding.
- Students meeting the above eligibility criteria should contact Money Support via email using firstname.lastname@example.org, and confirm which days they are available to attend an assessment appointment*.
- *Assessment appointments of 15minutes will be available between 1.30-3:00pm Monday to Friday. These appointment slots will commence on Monday 2 June, and will run throughout June.
- On receipt of the email from the student, Money Support will respond within 24hours to confirm the time and date of the assessment appointment, and will also confirm what documentation the student should bring to their appointment (but see the Evidence Requirements list below).
- At the appointment the Money Support team will discuss the application, and if the student is eligible an application form will be provided. This does not guarantee that an award will be made, as this can only be determined when a full assessment is completed.
- Once the student submits their application form along with their supporting documentation, their application will be assessed and outcome confirmed via email to their university email address within 10 working days.
- Applications will be accepted up to 5pm on Friday 15 August. This will allow for processing and payment to be made before Friday 29 August unless funds are exhausted prior to this date.
Treatment of Income
- Where student support income has already been taken into account in a previous assessment that student support income will not be taken into account again when assessing summer vacation funding. All other income will be taken into account in full.
- Students eligible for welfare benefits during the summer will have the relevant benefit figure taken into account even if they are not yet in receipt of the monies. It may be that a short term loan award can be made to bridge the gap, to be repaid when the benefits are received.
What Assistance will be Offered
- Help with day to day living costs such as food, travel and help with housing costs, utilising the Composite Living Costs figures as outlined in sections 4.65-4.67 of the 2013-14 Access to Learning Fund guidance.
- The maximum award payable to any individual will be £1,000, though this amount will be paid only in exceptional circumstances.
- In line with the academic year payments made during 2013-14, awards will be made at 30% of any assessed additional need.
- Students that have an outstanding short term loan from during the 2013-14 academic year will be asked to discuss this at their assessment appointment, and any Summer Vacation award may be reduced by the amount owed.
- Awards will only be made if there are monies remaining within the fund to allow for payment.
Evidence Requirements (as applicable)
- Letter confirming that you have applied for or details of your benefits.
- Details and evidence of any other income received over the summer.
- Confirmation letter/email from your Faculty that you are re-sitting/repeating over the summer period.
- An up-to-date letter from your GP/Consultant to confirm an illness that prevents you from working over the summer period.
- A confirmation from your GP/Disability Services/Support Worker (as applicable) to confirm your disability and to confirm that you are unable to work over the summer.
- A letter from your social worker to confirm that as a care leaver you do not have any other means of financial support over the summer.
- Copy of three months up-to-date bank statements for all your accounts, including savings accounts (and your partner’s accounts if applicable).
- Any other supplementary evidence that you feel supports your application.