About Our University
Bike Hire Scheme
We have opportunities for Leeds Beckett staff and students to get involved with a range of activities to develop your skills, including:
- Bike maintenance.
- Organising and running events.
- Working with our partners such as Leeds City Council, Sustrans and the University of Leeds.
If you are interested in volunteering please contact us at email@example.com for more information.
Volunteering opportunities are also available via Leeds Beckett Students’ Union. A range of opportunities are available including one off volunteering, micro volunteering, local community volunteering and student led volunteering. For more information contact the Volunteering Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Green Impact Environmental Audit
Green Impact scheme (run by NUS in several organisations across the UK) is a behavioural change scheme promoting sustainability. It involves departments making small changes to the way they would work on a daily basis which would result in making them more sustainable. During the year, they use a toolkit to make those changes.
We are looking for volunteer student auditors to visit Green Impact teams and conduct audits, offering students the opportunity to improve your CV and gain valuable employability skills, find out more about sustainability issues and complete a course that is IEMA (the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment) approved. Each auditor will be fully trained on the skills and content of auditing through a half-day of training. Auditors will then complete one or more audits putting their newly developed skills into practice. An audit should take between one and two hours to complete depending on the size of the department.
No technical knowledge is needed. Full training will be provided, all you need is an interest in environmental issues.
Green Impact Awards dinner - Photographer
At the end of the Green Impact season, we shall be holding an awards dinner to reward and thank staff for their sustainable efforts throughout the year. During the event, we will require photographer to capture the best bits of the event. One student will have the opportunity to volunteer for us on the night.
Date for Awards: circa March/April 2019.
Sustainability Student Conference
The Sustainability Team is teaming up with the 13 schools to organise our university's first Sustainability Student Conference. The objective of the conference is for students to present and share their university sustainability-related works with fellow students. Students will improve their knowledge by taking part in the conference as well as be able to engage in debates.
We shall require students, not only to present their works but also to usher the event and make sure it runs smoothly.
Date for conference: circa November 2020.
Employment Opportunities - Student placement
This opportunity is open to Leeds Beckett University students. We employ one student intern a year, on a full time basis on a 12 month contract. This role involves:
- Working with the National Union of Students (NUS) to implement their Green Impacts award across Leeds Beckett University.
- Supporting the Sustainability Team in marketing and awareness raising campaigns. Work will focus on promoting our sustainability identity, student bike hire and maintenance, energy efficiency and waste management.
- Helping to achieve the objectives and targets set in our Carbon Management and Transport Strategies.
- Helping to develop and support a student volunteer programme and look at the potential for increasing student involvement.
- Supporting bike hub activities, including bike hire, cycle training and bike maintenance.
- Taking and responding to enquiries from staff and students on sustainability initiatives.
If you are interested in working with the Sustainability Team please send an email with your contact details to email@example.com