Why Speech and Language therapy is invaluable

Student spotlight | Fatimah Bint-Hanif, BSc (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy 

Speech and language students practising SLT techniques

My name is Fatimah Bint-Hanif. I am a student originally from Leeds. I am currently studying speech and language therapy at Leeds Beckett University.

Outside of university, I like walking / hiking at various places across the UK. I also enjoy being in the company of fabulous people and having a great time!

Tell us a bit about yourself and what drew you to Speech and Language Therapy

I chose to study speech and language therapy because I am fascinated by the life-changing care a speech and language therapist (SLT) can provide. SLTs support individuals with difficulties in communication, eating, drinking and swallowing.

So why is the work of an SLT so important, I hear you ask. Well, let me begin to explain...

Communicating is how we articulate our needs and wants. We communicate to express our thoughts, feelings and ideas. Communication allows us to develop relationships too. Humans are social beings, we thrive on being able to communicate with others.

Being able to swallow safely supports us with eating and drinking. Eating and drinking are basic human needs. It allows us to remain healthy, giving us positive physical and mental wellbeing. The number of times I’ve been in the company of family / friends while being amongst food and drink is countless. Eating and drinking is a popular social activity too!

The support an SLT can offer is invaluable.

Another thing I like about Leeds Beckett University is the support on offer. I love that we have an academic adviser, this is someone from the Speech and Language Therapy course team who will be your go-to person for everything. My academic adviser is wonderful, they know how to handle any situation but are also great for having a good chat and laugh.

What made you choose Leeds Beckett?

I chose Leeds Beckett University because of how welcoming the staff were. They were kind, patient and approachable. The staff showed their interest in engaging and interacting with me too.

It was also clear from simple observation that the lecturers were not only passionate about speech and language therapy but also about teaching; this is something that was important to me.

As well as this, the course team are all experienced SLTs, so they have a great knowledge base. It’s fantastic because if you have any questions, someone will know the answer.

What has been your favourite thing about your time studying at Leeds Beckett?

The BEST thing about this course are the placement opportunities on offer, even from when you first start as a student. The course team at Leeds Beckett have established links with a variety of industries which means the opportunities are endless.

The placements give you the opportunity to consolidate your learning from the lectures and put it into practice. It’s great because you can get really involved in the placement, while being supported throughout.

The placements are brilliant because they prepare you for life as a qualified SLT. It means you can get a flavour of various settings which help you decide where you would like to work once qualified.

There is the opportunity to work with any age group as SLTs work with individuals at all life stages. They also work in so many different settings. This means you can keep your options open and make these decisions throughout your time at university.

Some places you could work include:

• mainstream and special schools
  • courtrooms, prisons, young offenders’ institutions
  • health – community health centres, hospital wards, outpatient departments
  • children’s centres
  • day centres
  • clients’ homes
  • independently or in private practice

What advice would you give to someone thinking about studying this course?

My advice would be to really get involved and give everything a go.

Every course is challenging, however, the amazing thing about studying speech and language therapy is that when things are challenging you can remember how rewarding the career will be. 

If you’re passionate and motivated about making a difference, then this is the course for you!

What will your story be?

Studying with us is a great choice, check out some of our courses and see for yourself!