Popping up but trying not to scare you!
We ran a spooky Halloween pop up at both campuses asking you whether there was anything you found “scary” about the Library. (Apart from this photo!)
So what did you tell us?………………………
You said that you found finding information “scary.”
Deciding where to start can feel overwhelming but there’s lots of ways to make it easier:
- Use Discover for fast and easy searching of our books and journals. We have a number of Discover videos to help you get started
- Take a look at your subject pages for loads of useful information that will be specific to your topic
- Make an appointment with your Academic Librarian – book an appointment online from your subject pages
- Book on a “Finding Information for your Assignments” workshop from Skills for Learning. Or use their online tutorial to help you
- Come and see us on the Help and Information Point in either Library
You said that you found assignments “scary.”
Again knowing where to start, which topic to choose and writing that first sentence can be hard, but follow our tips to help you get going!
- Borrow one of our books on study skills, essay writing , presentations or dissertation from the Library
- Book a Student Meeting Room to study together or practice your presentation
- Use the the Skills for Learning academic communication tutorials and podcasts to help you plan and write up your assignments
- Don’t leave your referencing and bibliography to the last minute. Keep a record of the resources you use, and use a copy of Quote Unquote to help you reference correctly
- Don’t run out of time! Use our resources and the Skills for Learning time management tutorial to help you manage your time effectively
You said you found finding books “scary.” But don’t struggle and leave the Library empty handed!
You said you sometimes found it “scary” finding a PC or somewhere quiet to study
- Use PC availability to help you find a free PC when you arrive
- Have a look at our webpages to help you find the place that’s right for you to study
Finally don’t forget there’s lots of help available from the Library, please don’t be afraid to ask!