Welcome to new students
Welcome to the Library to all our new students. We look forward to meeting you at your Library induction, Freshers' Fairs, out and about around campus and, of course, in the Libraries!
We have two Libraries, open 24/7, every day of the year: Sheila Silver Library in the Leslie Silver Building at City Campus and Headingley Library in the James Graham Building at Headingley. Both Libraries offer different types of study space so you can choose if you want to work in silence or in a group study area, or book a Student Meeting Room online.
We've got lots of ways to help you Get Started with using the Library and studying at University:
- The Get Started tab in MyBeckett enables you to learn how to use MyBeckett, access free Wi-Fi, access your email and timetable, download the apps you need, and prepare for your studies.
- The Library's YouTube channel has lots of quick videos showing you how to use our key services.
- Become more confident about your academic work with support from an experienced student through our Skills for Learning mentoring scheme.
- If you follow us on Twitter(@BeckettLibrary) we'll be posting lots of #getstarted hints and tips.
- And we know that getting all the passwords and PINs you need to access our systems can be a bit confusing at first but staff are on hand to get you through the early days. Although if you created a password for the Welcome System you may need to change this when you arrive on campus.
We also have over 140,000 electronic resources including eBooks and journals, available on and off-campus. And it's really easy to find the books and journal articles recommended for your course. Just click on the Reading List link alongside your modules in MyBeckett. As a Leeds Beckett University student you can install Microsoft Office 365 for free for the duration of your studies so you don’t need to buy it. This will also give you access to up to ITB of cloud storage on OneDrive and a University Microsoft email address and 50GB mailbox. And don't worry if you don't have your own device, we have over 900 PCs with a PC Availability service to make finding a free one easy or you can borrow a laptop to use in the Library.
Please don’t be afraid to ask Library staff if you need help in using the Library. The Library and Student IT Advice desks on the ground floor of each Library are open 08:30-19:00 Monday-Friday and 11:00-17:00 on Saturdays and Sundays during term. Staff will also be out and about in the first few weeks of term to help you with any questions you have. You can also Phone Us or Chat with Us 24/7 – just see the Contact Us page on our website.