Webinar on Covid-19, Aviation and Tourism
Destinations which rely heavily on international tourism have been hard hit by the COVID-19 pandemic. In this context, Professor Neelu Seetaram, member of the German Aviation Research Society (GARS) and of the advisory board of the European Aviation Conference (EAC) collaborated with these societies to co-organise an online discussion panel on the 7 July 2020.
The aim of the panel discussion was to provide a “meeting place for industry stakeholders, researchers and government officials from across Europe and around the world to discuss timely, policy-relevant issues in aviation with the goal of seeking insights from best practices and practical solutions to challenges facing the aviation industry”.
The panel members included:
- S. Francis - CEO, Seychelles Tourism Board
- B. Pearce - Chief Economist, International Air Transport Association (IATA)
- J. Poole - Senior Vice President – Advocacy, World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC)
- A. Papatheodorou - Professor, University of the Aegean and Director of the Hellenic Aviation Society
The discussion, which was moderated by Professor Seetaram, included a presentation by Brian Pearce on the implication of COVID-19 on the tourism and airlines industries and provided an insightful dialogue on:
- Travel security
- Market adjustments and consolidation
- Strategies for recovery
Watch the event in full below:
Professor Neelu Seetaram is an economist specialising in the study of the tourism and airline industries. She publishes in world leading journals and serves on the editorial boards of prestigious journals such as the Journal of Research and Tourism Economics.