I enjoyed studying on a close-knit, supportive course

Alumni spotlight | Lorenza Corner

woman in green dress smiling with gown on in front of the Rose Bowl

We caught up with BA (Hons) Events Management graduate Lorenza Corner at her graduation ceremony to find out what she has been up to since her degree. 

How was your Graduation Ceremony?

Amazing, I’m really pleased that I made it. Studying for my degree was tough at times due to the pandemic but I’m here today!

Why did you choose to study BA (Hons) Events Management at Leeds Beckett?

I always wanted to do drama but then I started looking at the events management course and it sounded really interesting and fun. I just knew I would really enjoy it, and I have. I came to an open day and loved the campus and the academics were really nice! I viewed five other universities and they were just incomparable.

What was your favourite part of your course and why?

My favourite part was the residential, it was really fun and it allowed me to build friendships with people and get to know them quicker and a lot better than just from lectures. I have never done some of the activities before and it took me out of my comfort zone, it was really enjoyable.

What support did you receive on your course?

The course was quite hands-on but we received a lot of support from the lecturers, they were amazing. Speaking to friends at other universities they are surprised at how supportive the tutors on my course were.

What advice would you give to someone thinking of studying your course?

Go for it! It’s such a varied course, you learn so much and can go down many paths, not just events management. There is a lot of group work involved too so you create really strong friendships with people which I don’t think you get on many other courses. 

What’s next for you now after Graduation?

I am already working in a summer job as an Events Manager for an Arts Festival, which I’m really enjoying. I got the job through the connections I made at university. They give you so many opportunities to network with events businesses that it puts you in a good position when you leave university. I want to work for a bit in this role and then potentially go travelling and come back to work in a full-time events job.