How my course at Leeds Beckett helped me get my dream job

Alumni spotlight | Victoria Jepson

Woman with brown hair in pale blue dress smiling in gown on Rosebowl car park
Two years after finishing her degree, we caught up with BA (Hons) Events Management graduate, Victoria Jepson at the 2022 Graduation Ceremony.
Course: BA (Hons) Events Management

How are you feeling today, and how was your Graduation Ceremony?

It’s been a fantastic day and I am so pleased to come back and celebrate with my friends and family.

What have you been up to since finishing your course?

I got a job in marketing after graduation. I really enjoyed the integrated marketing module and it inspired me to follow marketing as a career path. I have just recently been told I have got my dream job in marketing and I start in a few weeks which I am really excited about.

How did your course help you get this job?

All the knowledge and experience on the course really prepares you for the world of work. The course is also very creative and you do a lot of presentations and group work which is really helpful for getting a job. For me, this gave me a confidence boost and allowed me to step outside my comfort zone.

Why did you choose to study BA (Hons) Events Management at Leeds Beckett?

It just looked really fun. It was a choice between events management and criminology because the detective side of it appealed to me. However, I came to an open day to speak to both subject areas and the enthusiasm of all the events tutors won me over. I just remember thinking this is definitely the road I want to go down. I knew I wanted to study at Leeds Beckett too, because I feel connected to it in some way as my Grandparents met at Carnegie many, many years ago.

What was your favourite part of your course and why?

I loved the residential we went on, we went to Ambleside and did teambuilding activities like kayaking and abseiling. It brought all the tutors and all the students together and it was really fun. 

What advice would you give to someone thinking of studying your course?

I would say get your head down and study. You are at university to do a degree so make sure you take time to have fun but focus on the reason why you are there and what you want from it. You are only going to get what you want from it if you put the effort in.