School of Health and Community Studies | Blog

BSc (Hons) Public Health Graduation in Zambia

On 19th September we held our graduation ceremony for the BSc (Hons) Public Health which is delivered in Lusaka. This course first ran in January 2015 and our 3rd cohort of students have now started graduating.

Zambia Graduation

The course was developed in response to a clear need to give the many health professionals in Zambia an opportunity to ‘top up’ their diploma level qualifications and also to specialise in public health.

This is a highly successful course which contributes to Zambia’s ambition to eradicate TB and train 3000 health professionals for their healthcare workforce. The course is supported by Chainama College of Heath Sciences which is now part of Levy Mwanawasa Medical University.

Students graduating in Zambia

Since the course has started, the Minister of Health in Zambia has made the importance of a public health approach clear. In the 2017 – 2021 Zambia National Health Strategic Plan (NHSP), it says:

“The NHSP uses a model that incorporates underlying socio-economic factors impacting health behaviours. The socio-economic determinants model postulates that poor social and economic factors impact health throughout an individual’s life; these factors could be isolated at the personal, societal, and physical environment levels”.

Speaking about their experience on the course, alumni of BSc (Hons) Public Health (Zambia) say:

‘The flexibility of the degree enabled me to juggle work and family while positioning me for the next step in my professional and academic path.’

‘My degree has helped me to be promoted at a district level as the Senior Clinical Officer coordinating TB/HIV/STIs and leprosy in Katete District. It has helped me excel academically and I am currently studying an HIV Management Postgraduate Diploma with Stellenbosch University.’

Congratulations to all graduates!

Posted in

About the Author

Leeds Beckett Logo

School News

Everything that is going on at the School of Health and Community Studies.