Research at Leeds Beckett
Dr Alison Iredale
About Dr Alison Iredale
Dr Iredale is a Course Director with responsibility for the post graduate distance learning provision in the Carnegie School of Education.
Dr Iredale has worked in teacher education since 2003 and has research interests in professional knowledge and practice, work based learning, professional learning communities and educational change through technology.
Before taking up her current role she has been a senior lecturer at Leeds Beckett University, and prior to that has contributed to leading the development and enhancement of Higher Education within Further Education (HE in FE, or college based higher education). Over her career her experience of teaching and programme management in the education is wide ranging, having taught in colleges, adult and community learning, and private training providers.
As a Senior Lecturer she contributed to a significant partnership within Initial Teacher Education for the lifelong learning sector. Alison also has experience of teaching in Guangzhou, China, having contributed to a Chinese Government sponsored CPD programme.
Alison currently works as a course director where she closely integrates her research interests with her teaching, disseminating research-informed professional knowledge and practice both in the classroom and via professional learning communities. Her PhD was a study of the participation of student teachers during their part time in-service initial teacher education course. It investigates the extent to which initial teacher education prepares teachers as professional practitioners in the lifelong learning sector.
Alison teaches on a range of postgraduate modules, including leading on the MA Education pathway - Education for Social Change. She supervises undergraduate, post graduate and doctoral students, and leads on the development of distance learning provision in the School.
- Course leader: Distance Learning PGCE (DLPGCE)
- Module leader: Distance Learning PGCE (DLPGCE) School Based Independent Study
- Module leader: MA Education Education for Social Change
- Undergraduate supervisor: BA (Hons) Childhood Studies
- Postgraduate supervisor: MA Childhood Studies and Early Years and MA Education
- Personal tutor: Special Educational Needs Coordination PG Cert
- PhD and EdD supervisor
Since completing her PhD Alison has presented her research into professional learning communities at several international conferences, gained a research fellowship with the Association of Information Technology in Teacher Education, became researcher in residence for Rose Learning Trust and developed a partnership with The Open University of Jyväskylä.
Journal articles (2)
- Iredale A; Orr K; Bailey W; Wormald J (2013), Confidence, risk, and the journey into praxis: work-based learning and teacher development
- Iredale A (2012), Down the rabbit-hole: Routinised Practices, Dewey and Teacher Training in the Lifelong Learning Sector
- Bennett E; Burton S; Iredale A; Reynolds C; Youde A (2015) Learning and teaching with technology. In: Avis J; Fisher R; Thompson R Teaching in lifelong learning : a guide to theory and practice. : Open University Press, pp. .
- Iredale AC; Richardson G (2015) Evaluating and Assessing Learning. In: Ashmore L; Robinson D Learning, Teaching and Development. London: Sage, pp. 165-185.
- Bailey W; Blamires C; Dixon L; Iredale A; Robinson D; Schoch J (2015) Coaching and mentoring. In: Avis J; Fisher R; Thompson R Teaching in lifelong learning : a guide to theory and practice. : Open University Press, pp. .
- Fisher R; Iredale A; Ollin R; Robinson D (2015) Evaluation and quality assurance. In: Avis J; Fisher R; Thompson R Teaching in lifelong learning : a guide to theory and practice. : Open University Press, pp. .
- Bennett E; Iredale A; Reynolds C (2010) Teaching with technology. In: Avis J; Thompson R Teaching in lifelong learning. : Open University Press, pp. 144-152.
- Iredale A; Schoch J (2010) Coaching. In: Avis J; Fisher R; Thompson R Teaching in Lifelong Learning. : Open University Press, pp. 206-212.
Theses or dissertations (1)
- Iredale AC (2015), In Pursuit of Professional Knowledge and Practice: Some Experiences of Lifelong Learning Sector Trainee Teachers in England 2008 - 10
Working papers (1)
- Iredale A; Winter A (2015), The architecture of inclusive assessment: a college based Higher Education experience