Student Blog Squad

What is a university Open Day?

Hi everyone, I’m Laura, a Public Relations and Brand Communication student here at Leeds Beckett University. In this blog, I will be discussing all things Open Days and what you can expect when visiting our university. Whether you attend an event on campus or virtually, Open Days are the perfect way to find out more in-depth information about your future here at Beckett and learn about personal experiences from students who were once in your position.

Campus maps on Headingley Campus

What is an Open Day and how does it work?

An Open Day at Leeds Beckett is when the university opens its doors to the public and invites you over to explore the campus and other facilities, to get a feel for what it would be like studying there. It’s a way for you to explore the academic and social aspects of a university experience too. When I was in the position of applying for universities, I knew that I always wanted to come to a uni in Leeds but I didn’t want to commit to my choice before exploring what a uni really has to offer. 

I think it's really important to attend some form of event, in person or virtually before confirming your choice. 

An opportunity to learn about your course of choice

I will admit, feeling anxious about coming to see a university was a normal emotion for me and my friends when we were thinking about where we wanted to study. However, when I arrived at the Leeds Beckett Open Day, the excitement took over and I couldn’t wait to find out more. I was greeted by the loveliest staff members and ambassadors who made me feel very welcome and calm. I firstly attended my course session, where I met my lecturer. They presented the course in detail and explained how everything would work for the next couple of years, from assignments and placements to building character and opportunities within the university. Having this detail really helped me to understand the course better and therefore helped my decision. This was also when I met other people on my course, some of these I now call my best friends.

Exploring what the uni has to offer

After attending your specific course session, you would usually be taken on a campus tour by student ambassadors. This is when you would see all of the Leeds Beckett buildings and what the university has to offer. I remember thinking how modern and beautiful the buildings looked, and definitely saw myself studying here. This is also the best way to get an idea of what the student lifestyle in Leeds will be like as you get to see the gym, The Hive (a student social area with a bar), coffee shops dotted around the buildings and also the library (where you will most likely spend many nights during assessment periods). The ambassador leading my tour also told us about the best places for food and drink around Leeds (we do love to know the essentials).

The entrance Carnegie School of Sport building and outdoor seating area on Headingley Campus

One of the new modern buildings on campus, the Sports Building.

Finding the perfect accommodation for the year

Finding the right accommodation was one of the most important parts of my application to study here. I wanted to ensure I experienced my university life to the fullest and I knew that staying in halls was something I wanted to do. Choosing accommodation can be difficult as there are different factors you need to consider i.e. price, location, social aspects and facilities and this is why an Open Day helped me massively in making my decision. Being led around the flats by students, you can see exactly what you’re getting yourself into and how things really are in different halls. I went to see three different accommodations but ended up picking Marsden House after seeing their facilities (gym, study rooms and games area). This made me excited for starting my first year and I couldn’t wait to move in!

The games room in Marsden House, a pool table sits on the left with a foosball table next to it

The games room at Marsden House which was one of the many great facilities I was excited about when I looked around at the Open Day.

Get a feel for the community and people

For me, it was really important to get a feel for what the community was like and whether I could see myself living and studying here. Leeds is known to have a ‘vibe’ about it, and I was able to notice this on my Open Day. I remember thinking that people up North were very friendly and easy going so I wasn’t as worried about making friends here during freshers. I also loved the actual city. Even though it’s huge compared to my hometown, I felt comfortable here and not overwhelmed.

So, whether you’ve already made up your mind or are still debating between universities, I highly recommend attending an Open Day at Leeds Beckett as this is what prepared me for university and my current student lifestyle. 

I had the best experience at the event and I’m now a proud student ambassador here. Whether you’re nervous or excited, we can’t wait to meet you!

Laura G

Hi, I'm Laura, a PR student here at LBU. Outside of university my interests include fitness, socialising with friends and traveling (anything that benefits my wellbeing really). I’m passionate about spreading positivity and enjoy motivating people so that they can become the best version of themselves!