Its National Clean Air Day on the 21st June
What is the University doing?
- Promoting sustainable transport through our transport strategy and implementing travel plan initiatives such as the Bike Hub/Bike Fix workshops, secure cycle parking and showers, discounted public transport tickets and an online car sharing scheme.
- Reducing the number of car trips between campuses for business by running the staff shuttle bus.
- Introducing electric vehicles to the fleet and installing electric vehicle charging points.
What can you do on Clean Air Day?
- Leave your car at home and cycle or walk to University.
Those who travel by car can experience five times higher pollution levels than those who cycle, and three and a half times more than those walking to work (Study by Healthy Air Campaign, Kings College London and Camden Council)2
- If it’s too far to cycle or walk consider car sharing or using the park and ride.
- If you need to drive, switch your engine off whenever you can - an idling engine can produce up to twice as many exhaust emissions as an engine in motion.
- Walk your children to school – the impact of air pollution can be far greater on children, as their lungs and brains are still developing.
- Pledge to collect your parcels from a local shop or locker instead of getting them delivered
Pledge do one of these on the 21st June and share what you are doing on social media with the #CleanAirBeckett