- CARNEGIE GREAT OUTDOORS
- About us
- Families groups and individuals
- Educational groups
- Outdoor qualifications
- Research and consultancy
Foundation Safety and Rescue
The British Canoeing Foundation Safety and Rescue Training is aimed at providing paddlers with a range of rescue skills so that they can handle any scenarios which may occur whilst on the water. You will learn how to operate safely and deal with common emergencies in a sheltered water environment.
The course is suitable for all paddlers, whether you go out paddling alone, with friends or family, as part of a club or group, as a coach or volunteer. Suitable for paddlers of any craft or discipline choice, this course is available as a bank-based or boat-based programme.
If taking part as a bank-based participant you should be prepared to fully participate in the course and this may include being rescued from the water.
Coaching is provided by our expert team and we provide all the equipment needed for the session; canoes/kayaks, paddles, buoyancy aids, wetsuits, cags and helmets. Alternatively you can bring your own equipment if you wish.
Course Content (what will you learn)
- Necessary skills to enable you to ensure the safety of yourself and others
- Appropriate rescue skills which can be used to help yourself and/or others in difficulty
- General theory and planning: safety and rescue protocols
- Bank-based rescues: coaching a swimmer to shore, rescuing a swimmer with a rigid aid and rescuing a swimmer using a throw line
- Boat-based rescues: rescuing a swimmer from the water, rescuing a capsized paddler using a deep water rescue, rescuing an unconscious or entrapped paddler from their boat, use of towlines, self-rescue and all-in rescue
- Scenarios: dealing with simple paddling incidents involving up to two casualties; unconscious casualty in or out of their boat, injured or unwell, in difficulty and with broken or lost paddles
This course is suitable for:
Prerequisites to attend
- Be able to swim in normal paddling clothing suitable for the prevailing conditions
Boat-based candidates must also:
- Hold the current Paddle Explore Award, previous 2 Star Award or be of equivalent paddling ability due to the environment and the boat control required to complete the course
Interested in Carnegie Great Outdoors Courses?
See our online store for dates and locations currently on sale. If we're not currently advertising dates for this course please email us to be put onto the waiting list for the next available course dates.